Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Post Reply
MIA
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:01 am

Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2974Post MIA
Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:09 pm

We are scheduled to visit Vermont from 10/5 through 10/10. Since it looks like we will be early for the color change, I'm looking into delaying the trip. Changing the frequent flyer airline ticket is the toughest part of rescheduling. I can change the ticket to 10/13 through 10/18. Would this be preferable to what I have? Thanks for all the helpful information on this forum.


Axel in JP
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts

Re: Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2975Post Axel in JP
Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:50 pm

If it isn't too much trouble, the later dates would give you more leverage. You could have the run of the state and you wouldn't have to stick to the northern tier, like you would if you went up on Wednesday.

On the other hand, Vermont is always beautiful, whether it's peak color or a little early. I guess it depends on what you want to see. If it's color you're after, in my opinion the later dates would be preferable. Good luck!

autzig
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Bloomington, MN
Contact:

Re: Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2976Post autzig
Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:06 pm

Before you consider changing your reserviation make sure you can find a rental car. Last year I accidently entered an incorrect date, entered Sunday instead of Saturday. I couldn't find a rental car within a hundred miles of Burlington. I even tried to get a U-haul truck or van. No dice. Hotel rooms are also at a premium. I wouldn't worry about changing the airline tickets as much as making sure I had a car and a hotel.

rsskelton
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Birmingham, Al

Re: Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2977Post rsskelton
Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:20 pm

O.K. folks;Now your getting me really worried. Unfortunately, my dates are not flexable and I must come Oct 6th-9th. All this talk about the slowness of the leaves turning is very dissapointing to me. Surely there will be some decent color somewhere by then. How about the Northeast Kingdom? Any thoughts? Please help!!! :(
southern rookie

Markham
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:01 am
Location: California

Re: Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2978Post Markham
Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:25 am

Southern Rookie - unfortunately, when the weather is on the warm side, the colors simply don't happen early. Two years ago, I had to drive to Rangely, Maine to get any pics in the first week of Oct. It looks like there will be a fairly decent drop in temperature over the weekend into the 30's. And that will get things going. Five years ago, in Chelsea, the colors were muted and dull - overnight the temperature dropped into the low 30's - the next morning was simply unreal - everything changed overnight. Pray for a couple of cold nights - and you will see some color. And, yes, the Northeast Kingdom would be the place to start.

I'll be there the 7th through the 12th - so I'm in the same boat..

Take care.. Vermont is a beautiful state to visit - color or not.


pwt54
Moderator
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:01 am
Location: johnson,vermont,usa

Re: Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2981Post pwt54
Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:58 am

The Northeast Kingdom area from about route 15 and north and route 16 and east will be ready for you by then. It was beutiful ther Yesterday and should be peak in by this weekend.

pwt54
Moderator
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:01 am
Location: johnson,vermont,usa

Re: Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2982Post pwt54
Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:00 am

Sorry for the spelling problems. I was trying to eat Mom's homemade donuts and type at the same time.

MIA
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:01 am

Re: Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2983Post MIA
Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:02 am

With a lot of work, I was able to change my trip from 10/5-10/11 to 10/12-10/17. Now I'm having buyer's remorse. I'm seeing all the reports about how the color is changing so quickly. Did I screw up by delaying the trip a week?

I'm sure the Northeast Kingdom will be past peak, but will I get peak in Central and Southern Vermont? Somebody make me feel better!

dkaripides
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:01 am

Re: Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2984Post dkaripides
Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:33 am

Don't panic. Take a look at this link, which has been posted a lot here.

Taken only a couple of days ago, it shows color, but it certainly not peak color. If you are coming 5 days from now, I would think things would be about perfect.

And if it makes you feel any better, I moved my trip from from Oct 1-6 to Oct 9-14. I'm nothing but excited now. The weather forecast even seems great. :)

pwt54
Moderator
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:01 am
Location: johnson,vermont,usa

Re: Should I delay trip from 10/5 to 10/13?

Post: # 2985Post pwt54
Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:57 pm

Central vermont and central-east Vermont should be good.


Post Reply