Foilage trip to St Albans Oct 3-6

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Foilage trip to St Albans Oct 3-6

Thu Sep 13, 2001 7:09 am

hello<BR>My dad and I made our first trip to Vermont last year the first week in October. We took Amtrak all the way up to St. Albans. It was so beautiful and we had so much fun we are going back. This time we are driving from North CArolina to St. Albans. We will be there on the 3rd and 4th and start heading back south on the 5th. Could you suggest some of the best driving tours? Should we head towards the Northeast during our touring? What is the foilage prediction for the ST. ALbans area? Thanks for any advice!!

svmoderator

Re: Foilage trip to St Albans Oct 3-6

Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:52 am

Susan,<BR>It sounds to me like your timing is perfect! From St. Albans, you can visit the Champlain Islands by taking Rte.36 around Lake Champlain, over Rte. 78 to East Alburg and Alburg Center, then south along Rte.2 through the islands. This is a beautiful trip, you'll end at South Hero and cross back over to the mainland from there. Another drive, inland this time, is to take Rte. 105 out of St. Albans north and east through Enosburg Falss to Rte. 105, then Rte. 118, to Rte. 242 past Jay Peak Ski Resort--where you can take a scenic tram ride--then backtrack to Rte. 58 and take it through Hazen's Notch (closed in winter) and a scenic drive in fall. From there, you can explore much of the Northeast Kingdom, including many views and lakes. Stop in Newport on Lake Memphremagog at the information booth for advice on scenic drives from there. Enjoy! Susanne

Re: Foilage trip to St Albans Oct 3-6

Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:05 pm

Thank you so much for the quick response and the great tips Susanne!!!! Take Care!