North to South Oct. 2-7

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

North to South Oct. 2-7

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:50 pm

Heading north to Vermont from Maryland with a stopover in New York. Staying in Stowe (Oct 2,3,4) then driving South via Route 100 with a stay in Killington (Oct 5,6,7)for the Fall foliage. Definitely wish to checkout some scenic byways and any good loops with good foliage in vicinity of our stays. Would appreciate an update on the current progress of the foliage throughout this week from some of you up that way. Interested in Smuggler's Notch if colors warrant. Also, short loop in Northeast Kingdom neaby Stowe. A few covered bridges which seem to abound in Stowe area. In Killington area, please post some suggestions and advise. Wondering if we should venture over to Woodstock from Killington? Husband is an avid photographer. Our son-in-law (an Albany N.Y native) vows we are heading up too late for the foliage. From this wonderful forum and our research we vow to the contrary! Help us prove him wrong!! Eagerly looking forward to Vermont in her autumn glory!

GIC

Re: North to South Oct. 2-7

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:20 pm

Just have your son-in-law read the post in this forum. That should be enough proof.
Sorry I can not be of much help with suggestions, but head to the north east Kingdom area. Gas prices have slowed me bit this year, but will not stop me. Normaly I,m in Vermont before the first leaf hits the ground. I will be in the Kingdom this next week end Sept 30th until Oct.3rd and back every weekend in other areas. I will post later for others to read. Have good time.

margym

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:44 pm

While the Northeast Kingdom is very nice, there is a lot to see in/near the Killington area. Woodstock is just a short drive and a lovely town to visit for an afternoon.
For a short (and very direct)drive to Woodstock, you can just take route 4. For something more scenic try this:
route 100 south through Plymouth Union - you'll pass some small lakes on your left. Turn left at the Echo Lake Inn - Kindom Road/Tyson Road - take this road to Felchville (route 106). Turn Left on Route 106 (north)- this will take you up to Woodstock! The Kingdom/Tyson Road is very scenic, especially toward the late afternoon!

There are lots of other nice rural roads near Killington and Plymouth - be sure to also drive on 100A at some point.

Enjoy!

Aspen

Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:48 pm

Members: 368 and 862, thanks for your prompt replies. Will be taking your route suggestions and advise. Read so much about Route 100,thanks for pointing out and bringing 100A to our attention. Aware the Northeast Kingdom is a special place to see, however, uncertain what routes to take to and fro Stowe since it is such a vast area to cover.
Anyone have suggestions of any particular photo opportunities we should not miss while we are in the vicinity of Stowe and heading down Route 100 to Killington? (Remember,with your guidance and our camera, together, we will make certain our son-in-law predicts the foliage wrong!! :)
Alright folks, on behalf of all who share this wonderful foliage forum, keep your foliage updates and advise coming.

pwt54

Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:19 am

Check the "From photography perspective" topic. The area I discribed is just above the Woodstock area. A lot of good photo opportunities on these routes.

Kerry Gough

Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:46 pm

I agree with all the information that has been given to you about where to go. I am going to be in Vermont the same time you are and staying in Woodstock three days. I can assure you that there are drives and scenes in the beautiful Killington/Woodstock coridor, both north and south, that I think you will find to be very impressive.

I know Rt. 100 has been suggested to you. You will enjoy it. However, let me suggest one place that some hardly ever mention and I think it is a great and usually colorful place in the fall. That is Plymouth Notch, on Rt. 100A. If you are traveling south on Rt. 100, just five miles south of Rt. 4, you can turn left on 100A and it is only one mile to Plymouth Notch.

The village is where Calvin Coolidge was born and raised and where, early one morning, he was sworn in by his Dad as President of the United States. The village is only one block long. You can visit his homestead, his church, his woodworking shop and the old barn full of primitive farm machinery and implements and the General Store and Post Office where he hung out when home. His grave site is just across the road, too. There is also a cheese factory in the village.

If you get to Woodstock, a beautiful drive is to take River Road off of Rt. 12. It is the right turn that you take as you come to Billings Farm Museum. Go straight on River Road until you come to Cloudland Road. Turn left and travel that road. Beautiful scenes along that route! I can't remember all the roads out that way but just take what ever looks good. They are all good roads and you will end up in Barnard, Pomfret, Hewitt's Corner, North Pomfret, West Hartford or maybe Sharon. They are all close so you will not get lost!

Rt. 106 was mentioned to you as a good route and it certainly is. About 7 or 8 miles south of Woodstock, off Rt. 106, look for the Jenne Farm Road on the west side of the road. Go about a quarter of a mile and see the Jenne Farm setting, the most photographed farm scene in the country. There is a good story behind how it became famous for photographers. Do a search on the Internet for Jenne Farm and pull up information about it. Then, just keep on that road and it circles around the beautiful farm area and back to Rt. 106.

Early morning is the most beautiful time of the day to photograph the Farm. I have been there as early as 6:30 AM along with about sixty or more other photo shooters. I stayed there and took pictures as the fog would lift as the sun slowly rose. It is a nice scene, too, in the late afternoon. Quite a place!

Best wishes for a great visit to Vermont!

Aspen

Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:23 am

Originally posted by Kerry Gough:
I agree with all the information that has been given to you about where to go. I am going to be in Vermont the same time you are and staying in Woodstock three days. I can assure you that there are drives and scenes in the beautiful Killington/Woodstock coridor, both north and south, that I think you will find to be very impressive.

I know Rt. 100 has been suggested to you. You will enjoy it. However, let me suggest one place that some hardly ever mention and I think it is a great and usually colorful place in the fall. That is Plymouth Notch, on Rt. 100A. If you are traveling south on Rt. 100, just five miles south of Rt. 4, you can turn left on 100A and it is only one mile to Plymouth Notch.

The village is where Calvin Coolidge was born and raised and where, early one morning, he was sworn in by his Dad as President of the United States. The village is only one block long. You can visit his homestead, his church, his woodworking shop and the old barn full of primitive farm machinery and implements and the General Store and Post Office where he hung out when home. His grave site is just across the road, too. There is also a cheese factory in the village.

If you get to Woodstock, a beautiful drive is to take River Road off of Rt. 12. It is the right turn that you take as you come to Billings Farm Museum. Go straight on River Road until you come to Cloudland Road. Turn left and travel that road. Beautiful scenes along that route! I can't remember all the roads out that way but just take what ever looks good. They are all good roads and you will end up in Barnard, Pomfret, Hewitt's Corner, North Pomfret, West Hartford or maybe Sharon. They are all close so you will not get lost!

Rt. 106 was mentioned to you as a good route and it certainly is. About 7 or 8 miles south of Woodstock, off Rt. 106, look for the Jenne Farm Road on the west side of the road. Go about a quarter of a mile and see the Jenne Farm setting, the most photographed farm scene in the country. There is a good story behind how it became famous for photographers. Do a search on the Internet for Jenne Farm and pull up information about it. Then, just keep on that road and it circles around the beautiful farm area and back to Rt. 106.

Early morning is the most beautiful time of the day to photograph the Farm. I have been there as early as 6:30 AM along with about sixty or more other photo shooters. I stayed there and took pictures as the fog would lift as the sun slowly rose. It is a nice scene, too, in the late afternoon. Quite a place!

Best wishes for a great visit to Vermont!
Thanks Kerry for the great information. Have definitely made a note and highlighted Route 100A. Will tag along yours and many others' advise in our travel journal.
These last few evenings, I have worn myself out traveling in Vermont with all my guide books (11 of them!!) in addition to all the valuable info. people have been forwarding on the forum. Have a really good feel of some of the routes we plan to take in Vermont by revisiting the map and rereading. I keep adding things to our itinerary. Much as how we want to see so many things, quite certain will have to prioritize. Now, want to see Hope Cemetery as well as take the 30 minute tour of the quarry in Rock of Ages in Barre. Hope perhaps on our drive down Route 100South heading towards Killington, we may be able to make some quick side trips. However, with my husband and his camera, that will make for slow going!! :roll: Have been receiving advise from friends to not miss the Quechee gorge when in Woodstock! At least we know, we are going well informed; have more things to look forward to than we will be able to accomplish. Daily, check Vermont's weather updates...if Vermont throws in some nice color, that will be the icing on the cake. Vermont, we prefer yellow, orange and red icing!
Thanks again for all the advise, it will be put to very good use!

Aspen

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:02 am

Hello 4sneau This is to acknowledge that I received your message with the information about the Woodstock area. Beauty is often in the eye of the beholder so it is very nice for those who discover such beauty to share it with others. Thank you!
Anxiously awaiting to hear Mother Nature is "painting the (Vermont) town(s) red"...orange, yellow and brown...!!! ;)