need your advice P-l-e-a-s-e !!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Rachelio

need your advice P-l-e-a-s-e !!!

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:47 am

hi everyone,wer'e planing a fall trip to VT. need to fly from DC ( Oct. 5th) and go back home to San Frasisco CA.

have few questions :
1. where should we start the trip ? ( i think North is the best option ?)
2. should we stay in VT area only or go to Acadia National park too ( i google it-take about 11hou.)
3. does it make sence to book 3 or 4 lodging location ( Central VT/Northeast & right near Lake Champlain ? about 4 night over all.
4. any ideas for nice-really nice inn's or motels ?
any other tip would be helpful for us since it's our FIRST time in VT,Thanks in advance :)
Rachelio :) )

4sneau

Re: need your advice P-l-e-a-s-e !!!

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:35 am

Here are a couple of questions back:
1. Are you flying into and out of Manchester, NH, Boston, NYC, or Burlington,VT?
2. Do you have only 4 days for the entire trip? If so, with the drive time to- and from- the airport factored in...IMHO, the trip to Acadia would be "pushing" it.
3. What do you mean by "really nice Inn"? I know of one in Central Vermont that costs $1,000+ a night. It is REALLY nice! There are some lovely B&B's and inns for about $150-$250 a night, and some nice motels for about $100 a night. Many places are already booked, but it certainly is possible to still find good lodging...especially during mid-week. Many places want you to stay at least 2 nights.

vtski

Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:19 am

Rachelio,

If you want to consider a condo I might be able to help. I have a two-bedroom condo in Killington/Rutland area. It will accommodate up to 6 people. Please let me know if you would like any additional information.
I also agree with 4sneau that trip to Acadia might be too much..

pwt54

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:40 am

Judging by your dates, I would look at the northeast area of Vermont. Look for lodging in the St.Johnsbury/Lyndonville/ Burke area first, then try Barton,Westmore, Island Pond, and the Newport,Derby,Charleston areas. "google" vermont northeast kingdom inns and check out what is available. If you can find a place in the St.Johnsbury area, you are only an hour away from the best part of the White Mountains of New Hampshire. When you do find the right place to stay get for your whole vacation. The best colors will be near there.

Rachelio

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:08 am

thanks for all the lovely answers !!
i think we might fly from DC to Burlingtom (?) or if you have other ideas i'll be more then glad to hear them ?
* are there any small town we shouldn't miss anyway ? i was reading so much of information the last few days ,but still - can't make upmy mind..
* any back roads we shouldn't miss ???
* thanks but i think that a condo. for 6 is way to big ( wer'e a couple + 1 child)
* does Wyndham Hotel at Lake Champlain is OK ? are there any other lake we shouldn't miss ?? or you have other ideas ? should i book one or 2 inn for the whole 4 days ? how far is central VT from Boston airport ? thanks for your time & have a great day !
Rachelio :) )

4sneau

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:21 pm

If you don't have your plane tickets yet, I would check out the round trip tickets to either Burlington, VT or Manchester, NH (I think Manchester usually has better rates & connections)rather than Boston. You will probably have to make one connection somewhere, but what you will save in driving time to the airport and the FRUSTRATION of the traffic in Boston, it's worth it.
Driving time from White River Juntion (Central VT) to the airports: Burlington - 2 hours;
Manchester-1 1/2 hours; Boston 3-5 hours depending on traffic

pwt54

Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:21 pm

The Wyndham is nice but expensive. Fall colors will not be good around the lake that early. It has a slightly warmer climate than the rest of the State. The best colors will be east of Burlington in the Green Mountains. If you do have a room in Burlington I would keep it. Rooms are hard to find. If you don't have a room try Stowe,Waitsfield, Montpelier/Barre, and farther east in the St.Johnsbury/Lyndonville/Burke area. A boat ride on Lake Champlian can be nice on a clear day. You can see the colors on both the Green Mountains and the Adirondacks in New York.