White River Junction

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

tilt

White River Junction

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:06 pm

I am another newbie coming to Vermont from SoCal this October (around the first week) and am planning to stay in White River Junction for a few days. I will be on a limited budget and will not have a car, so I was wondering where the best places for Fall colors are in that area (VT/NH). Also, are there any really good, not-to-be-missed bike or hiking trails that I could reach by bus?

4sneau

Re: White River Junction

Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:22 pm

Hmmm. If you are staying in White River Junction, and have only a bicycle for transportation, be aware of the free shuttle busses that run to Hanover, NH and back. That should open up your horizons a bit. You can get the routes & times by going to www.AdvanceTransit.com. If you get to Hanover, cross the bridge(toward Norwich, VT), turn Right onto Route 5 North toward Thetford. It's a BEAUTIFUL ride along the Connecticut River.
Dartmouth College may also be a source of informaton for other suggested rides.

Also, there is a GREAT suggested bike route on the home page of this site that is a loop that starts at the Taftsville bridge, goes along the Ottaquechee River (the good way...back road), into Woodstock (sort of...so, if you do take this route---make SURE you save some extra time to scout out this village!), then up into Pomfret, and down along the Hartford-Quechee Road. I believe you MAY be able to start the loop at the Hartford-Quechee Road (instead of at Taftsville) by taking the one of the shuttle busses that I mentioned above. However, I'd call the bus company to make sure. Hope this helps!