Goshen to Ripton

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Kerry Gough

Goshen to Ripton

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:57 pm

Several years ago, I crossed over the Rochester Mtn. road and then took the Brandon Gap to Goshen. I turned right on Recreational Road 32 to Ripton. Fortunately, I was in a Yukon that had good ground clearance as it was a tough road to travel.

Does anyone know the condition of it now? Is it a good road to travel to go from the Brandon Gap to the Middlebury Gap? Also, the road that goes from Ripton to South Lincoln, and then Lincoln and the Lincoln Gap. Is it in good condition for travel now. Has been several years since I took that road, though I have taken the Lincoln Gap,as well as the Appalalchian Gap, several times.

I will be in a Ford Freestar which only has a normal road clearance. I am not aware of any special traction control on it. Your knowledge of these roads would be helpful to me as I continue to plan my visit in two weeks.

Thanks!

pwt54

Re: Goshen to Ripton

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:40 pm

NFH 32 is good for a car. I've been on it twice this year. The other road sounds like the Natural Turnpike and that is good also.

Kerry Gough

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:09 pm

Thanks for your responses, PWT and BM.

It is good to know that those are good roads to take this year if the foliage should stimulate a desire to travel them. I love the back roads and the Gap routes, too. The Kelly Stand Road is a favorite of mine, too,when the foliage is right.
A stop at the Grout Pond Rec. Area can certainly present you with a very striking panorama of beautiful water reflected fall colors!

When I take the Kelley Stand Road, I usually go on to West Wardsboro and then pick up Rt. 100 and head north. However, when you reach Stratton, 4 miles west of West Wardsboro, there is a road to the north that goes towards the Stratton Mtn. area. Can you tell me if this is a good back road to travel?

Then I could continue to Bondville and on to Peru to take the back road to North Langrove and then to Weston. That is a nice drive through there. When the colors are right, and in early to mid morning, Hapgood Pond is always a beautiful spot for a peaceful walk and some good water focused photo opportunities.

Thanks for all the good advice you two give to help others. Your suggestions sure help me as a Georgia flatlander. Your sharing of information is a special gift to MANY leafpeepers, I am sure. Again, thanks!

Andy

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:12 pm

Is Kelly Stand Road a typical gravel Vermont Back Road? I will be traveling in a Dodge Durango in October and was thinking about traversing that road. I have seen it described as a bumpy dirt road -- but its gravel and not a "two-track" -- right?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:01 am

Thanks, BM. I lived in Bakersfield, Vt. of and on over a period of years back in the 70's, on a back road that was off the beaten path. I can still remember sliding around in the mud when the frost came out. I thought that's what the Kelly Stand Road might be like.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .