October 3 - 5

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

dwilde

October 3 - 5

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:51 pm

We are coming from Texas to see the fall foliage in Vermont and should arrive October 3-5. Can anyone tell me what areas would be the best for seeing the colors at this time of the year.

GIC

Re: October 3 - 5

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:47 pm

Howdy dwilde I’m from East Texas and have been living in New England for over ten years. State of Massachusetts (Central) to be exact. As bm pointed out “the Northeast Kingdom would be a good bet”. I would escalate that to your best bet. I seriously suggest that you stay within Vermont and enjoy the foliage that Vermont has to offer. Quite frankly during the time frame of your visit here it will be the best in the region to view foliage. Every fall I live on this forum and mine all the wealth of information about Vermont that I possible can. Take time to go through all the post that make reference to the time you will be in Vermont. Not just year 2005, but past years as well. You will find many areas to visit and routes to take in this forum.
Be on the road to you destination before the crack of dawn. You will be able to take advantage of the early morning lighting effects. The same follows for sunset. I try to plan my routes so that the sun is always to my back in the morning and late afternoon.
If the day is misty or with a drizzle don’t let that stop you from seeing the foliage. Some of my best pictures were taken under these conditions. If you’re by a lake or pond early in the morning you may be able to catch vapor rising which helps create great picture effects. Use your imagination while taking pictures. Hope you enjoy your trip. By the way Bar-B-Q and Tex-Mex just don’t cut it up here. Enjoy the local food it’s excellent. Y’all take care now.

pwt54

Re: October 3 - 5

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:51 pm

Anywhere north of route US 2 and east of route 108 should be good. The we weather and soaking rain of the last couple of days should help keep the leaves from drying out.