en route to Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

constantia

en route to Vermont

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:54 am

Hello! My husband and I are very excited to be visiting New England from 28th September to mid-October. I found your web site some months ago and have been planning our trip round your advice to other people... you are all quite fabulous! My question isn't about Vermont...I hope this isn't terribly awful! We want to know the best route up to Woodstock, Vermont, from Bennington, and if possible, the best route to Bennington from Sheffield, Mass. We are flying from Cape Town, South Africa, and would appreciate your help. Thanks in anticipation!

Kerry Gough

Re: en route to Vermont

Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:26 pm

The route to both places are very easy and scenic. You will be traveling through some beautiful country and should plan on taking it slow to enjoy your journey.

From Sheffield, MA, to Bennington, VT, simply take Rt 7 North. Stop in Sturbridge, MA, and walk the main street. It gives you a wonderful New England feel. Stop in and see the historic Red Lion Inn. You might enjoy the Norman Rockwell Museum, too. He was a great illustrator and did the cover of over 300 Saturday Evening Post magazines. The covers are on display.

Ride through the town of Williamstown, MA, where Williams College is located. It is a beautiful college campus with some fascinating buildings. It only takes a few minutes to see the campus and it is worth the drive.

Just before you arrive in Bennington, stop at the Apple Barn and sample their apple cider donuts and their fresh apple cider. It is a nice resting place, for a few moments, and the donuts and cider both are outstanding mid-morning or mid-day snacks.

Continue north on Rt. 7 to the intersection of Rt. 7 and Rt. 9 in the heart of Bennington. Turn left on Rt. 9 and go about four blocks and visit Old Bennington. The famous Bennington Monument is to the right and the beautiful church to the left is nice to see. The poet, Robert Frost, is buried there. You will also see the Bennington Museum, and the Grandma Moses Museum, which are both very enjoyable.

Get back on Rt 9 east, until you reach Wilmington and Rt 100 north. Turn left and this will eventually take you to Rt 4, where you will turn right and to the east, and then it is only a few miles to Woodstock. There are several places you might enjoy along this section of Rt. 100 but I will only mention two of them.

Be sure and stop in the village of Weston. It is a great browsing spot and you would especially enjoy the The Vermont Country Store. What a fun place to look at the variety of merchandise and taste the samples of Vermont products they have available. Across the street is a great place for a bowl of New England Clam Chowder, which is always delicious here. There are other shops there, too, which are super places to visit, especially the Dhristmas shop.

Continue north on Rt 100 until you come to Rt. 100A. Turn right and go one mile to Plymouth Notch, the boyhood home of President Coolidge. It is a beautiful little one block village but will be absolutely georgous if the color is at peak or either side of it. A nice place to take a stroll and stretch a few minutes.

Return to Rt. 100A north and continue to Rt. 4. Turn east and this takes you direct to Woodstock, the most beautiful little village in America, according to a selction by Good Housekeeping magazine. It is one of the most delightful villages you can see. Be sure and visit Gillinghams Hardware Store. It is quite a place and will take you back a few years.

Just suggestions that I hope might be helpful to you. Enjoy! You will meet great people and see
in person the magnificent handiwork of our Creator at its best. Happy travels!

Geri

Re: en route to Vermont

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:58 pm

Stockbridge (Red Lion Inn)is along Route 7, not Sturbridge which is located East of Springfield. Mt. Washington (Mt. Washington Road, great views and Mount Everett) and Bash Bish Falls are also very pretty and worth the side trip to get off the main route (Route 7). South Egremont along Route 23 is a cute town. I live near Sheffield and leaves usually peak mid Oct. here, except for the higher elevations that peak earlier.