how to maximise 2 days

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

AusGirl

how to maximise 2 days

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:02 pm

I am investigating the possibility of getting from Nova Scotia to Montreal via the ferry to Bar Harbour, Maine, and then driving to Montreal via Maine/NH/Vermont, possibly staying overnight en route. This would most likely be Sep 27 and 28. As I don't really have a lot of touring time, what would be the best route to take for these dates to see fall colours?

admin
Site Admin

Re: how to maximise 2 days

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:48 am

Look up Dixville Notch on your map. It is is northern NH. You will find a Grand Hotel there called the Balsams. It is worth a stay! Your visit is more suited to northern Vermont..called the Northeast Kingdom. Check the lodging listings on this site under Burke, Lyndonville, Montgomery, Jay, Cratfsbury. You should also visit North Hatley, Quebec www.borderadventures.com

pwt54

Re: how to maximise 2 days

Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:06 am

Dixville Notch is on route 26 in New Hampshire. You can pick up route 26 off route US 2 in Bethel, Maine. Route 26 ends in Colebrook,NH. Cross over into Vermont from there and turn left at route 102 south. Take that to route 105 west and drive that to all the way to route 78 west in Sheldon Springs. Take route 78 west to I-89 north and the Canadian Border. Then take routes 133, 35, and autoroute 10 west to Montreal. The Balsams is expensive but is well worth the price. If you can find the extra money Do It !!