Looking for some assistance.........

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

rmartine

Looking for some assistance.........

Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi all! I'm a long time reader of this great forum and a first time poster.....

My significant other and I are returning to Vermont October 8-14 for the fifth consecutive year. We love the entire state and all it has to offer - especially in the fall. We tent camp each year in the Coolidge State Park and absolutely love it as a base camp for roaming the rest of the state. Since this is our fifth trip, we have been to most of the hot spots and done a lot of the touristy things, but this year we would like to focus on our photography more and are looking for some suggestions for great photo opportunities or perhaps even your "secret" spots. Waterfalls are of interest, gravel or dirt roads with fence rows and tree canopies.........what can you suggest?

We have introduced the pristene beauty that is Vermont to several of our friends (some of whom will be joining us again this year)and they are looking to spot a moose. Any words of wisdom?

Finally, I just wanted to add that this year we are taking a hot air balloon ride out of Quechee and we are looking forward to seeing the foliage from above. Here's hoping the weather is great for flying!

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance!!

pwt54

Re: Looking for some assistance.........

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:30 am

I like the Jimmapco map best. It's easier to read. Try this site for waterfalls; http://www.neuswaterfalls.com/

One area I like for riding and photos is north of Montpelier. It takes in the towns of East Montpelier, Calais, and Woodbury. It is border on the west by the County Road and the east by routes US 2 and 14. It has a lot of short dirt roads that crisscross each other. It has cute little places like Maple Corners, Kent's Corners, and Adamant. The Tebbets Road in Woodbury goes under a barn(sort of). You will need an atlas to keep from getting turned around. The County Road starts out as North Main Street in Montpelier. North Steet off North Main St. in Montpelier has great views as does the Horn of the Moon Road.

margym

Re: Looking for some assistance.........

Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:21 pm

We have stayed in that same area for the past 5 years. Last year, we were graced with a huge bull moose who appeared in the early morning -right in our backyard on 100A. There is also another nearby spot for moose- From Coolidge, take route 100 South and turn left (at the Echo Inn) onto Tyson-Reading Road. About halfway across Tyson-Reading Road (about 2-3 miles) you'll see a large marshy area on the right. The moose tend to come down from the woods in that area just as it begins to get dark - last year we were able to watch a mom and baby cross that road several times. It does help to go early and just sit in your car (or outside) quietly while you wait.

In terms of photo opportunities, all of my best shots have been discovered just by traveling some of the lesser traveled roads in VT- get a good map and explore. Some of the local bookstores also carry books that given an idea of more "typical" places to take good photos.

Have fun! and hope you see a moose!