Mad River Valley Backroad Suggestions

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Re: Mad River Valley Backroad Suggestions

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:03 pm

If you think you would like a horse ride, the Icelandic Horse Farm on the North Fayston Road is a great place for it.

Kerry Gough

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:03 pm

Thanks for that suggestion, BM. I will be in Waitsfield for two days so will keep that drive in mind. I have been up towards Fayston, and back to 100, but not all the way to the point you mentioned.

I think I have taken most of the other roads close by so will look forward to this new one.

pwt54

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:41 am

Kerry, have you driven the West Hill Road/National Forest Road 55 in Granville,Vt. It starts off route 100 behind the Blue Moose Bend Glass Blowing Studio. Drive it until you come to a "Y" intersection and bear left through the gate. Just before the second gate there is a road on your right. Drive that to the end and come back. Turn right and go through the second gate and drive until you see another road on the right. Drive that. It's only a few hundred feet long,but there is a good view there. Drive back to NFR 55, turn right and finish the road to the end. Then go back to route 100.

Kerry Gough

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:27 am

Thanks, PWT. I have not driven that road and do not recall seeing it when I have driven that way. That is a great suggestion and I really do appreciate you telling me about it.

This year will be in the neighborhood of 17 years of staying at the Round Barn, our favorite of B&Bs, and visiting the Mad River Valley. I usually drive the Mountain Road, up behind the Barn, the Commons Road and then the Moretown to Northfield road. Either coming or going to Waitsfield, we always drive Roxbury Gap at least once.

If you know of other roads in that area that might have good foliage color or be of interest, I would appreciate knowing of them. Again,thanks!

pwt54

Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:08 am

It sounds like you have done the best rides in that area already. Have you done Texas Falls off route 125 in Hancock? There is also the Bethel Mountain Road in Rochester. It starts at the north end of the village green and ends on Route 12 in Bethel. One area I like for riding and photos is north of Montpelier. It takes in the towns of East Montpelier, Calais, and Woodbury. It is border on the west by the County Road and the east by routes US 2 and 14. It has a lot of short dirt roads that crisscross each other. It has cute little places like Maple Corners, Kent's Corners, and Adamant. The Tebbets Road in Woodbury goes under a barn(sort of). You will need an atlas to keep from getting turned around. The County Road starts out as North Main Street in Montpelier. North Steet off North Main St. in Montpelier has great views as does the Horn of the Moon Road. If you don't have an atlas stop at the little welcome center on 134 State St. in Montpelier and see if they have a map of that area.