motorhome travel

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

motorhome travel

Sun Sep 02, 2001 1:25 pm

Just wondering what the scenic drives for fall foilage are like for motorhomes. Are any roads restricted because of bridges or road conditions? Any help will be appreciated. Also recommendations for nice RV campsites are needed.

svmoderator

Re: motorhome travel

Mon Sep 03, 2001 7:42 pm

There are many nice RV parks, it just depends on when you will be here...some close October 1, others are open until the 15th or the end of October, but it varies. I'm looking through the Vermont Campground Guide, and it seems like most are open through the 15th, but many close 10-1. Here's one in Stowe open all year: Gold Brook Campground 802-253-7683. You might check out <A HREF="http://www.campvermont.com" TARGET=_blank>www.campvermont.com</A> or e-mail campgrounds@campvermont.com to get a campground guide. Most roads are fine for motorhomes...some gaps that are not paved (and some that are) may be steep and narrow and not a good idea. Two come to mind, actually three: the Lincoln Gap from Warren on Rte. 100 to Lincoln, very steep and narrow, closed in winter and probably not a good ride for a motorhome; also Rte. 108 from Stowe to Smuggler's Notch is a similar road (only narrower among the large bolders at the top) and I'm sure you wouldn't make it; Hazen's Notch in the NE Kingdom (Rte. 58) wouldn't be a good idea in a motorhome. Generally, if a road is closed in winter or if there's a sign "not recommended for winter travel for buses and trucks," you ought to avoid it. Or, ask at the RV campground where you're staying for local driving advice. If you want specific recommendations for accommodations, let me know when you're coming and what areas you'd like to visit and I can check for specific campgrounds and their closing dates. Susanne