Foliage Predictor 2005

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mjamieself

Foliage Predictor 2005

Postby mjamieself » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:38 pm

Anyone know of a "foliage predictor" online? I know it's not an exact science, but all the links I've found are for 2004 (at best!).

We're planning our family trip Sept 24 through Oct 8, 2005. We hope to get an idea of where to look first for leaf peeping.

Thanks!
--jamie

admin
Site Admin

Re: Foliage Predictor 2005

Postby admin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:18 pm

No one can predict when foliage will be at peak in a particular area and on a particular day. The best we can provide you is an indication based on past seasons. This is what our foliage maps provide and also our foliage meter that you see on www.foliage-vermont.com. So study the maps and the meter and choose your week and area. The maps and foliage meter are good for any year.

Because of the unusual amount of rainfall in the spring, it is likely that this will be a very colorful fall. Right now the leaves are a very lush green.

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:48 am

You picked a great time for a foliage vacation. For the first few days you are here travel around the northeast corner of Vt. That is the area east of route 108 and north of route US 2. Any road up there is a great ride. Find a place to stay in St.Johnsbury, Montpelier, or Stowe. After you do the northeast do the central area west of route 116 and north of route US 4. Route 100 is a top ride. Also you will want to do the "up and over" roads of routes 17, 125 and 73. The Peacham - Barnet area is a must see area. Routes 14,110,113, and 132 are great rides. When you do route 14 through East Brookfield, take a side trip on route 65 to Brookfield and see the Floating Bridge. After that find a place to stay in Bennington or Brattleboro and do southern Vt. I like routes 30,9, US5 and the route 35/121 area and Grafton is a great place to visit. Just south of Manchester off route US 7 is the Skyline Drive to the top of Mt. Equinox. It's worth the the drive. If you get a hankering to do New Hampshire, do the triangle area between routes 112, 302 and I-93. That takes in The Kancamagus Highway, Crawford Notch, and Franconia Notch. You can pick up the Base Station Road on route 302 in Faybian to see the Cog Railroad that goes to the top of Mt. Washington. It does cost about $50 to ride it but it is worth it. Or you can take route 16 and drive the toll road to the top of the mountain.

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:56 pm

The driving directions are very helpful. My husband and I are planning to visit Vermont this fall (6th-10th of Oct). I have a couple of questions. Do you think we can cover all the good leaf-peeping spots in 4-5 days by car? Also does it make sense to stay at Montpelier for that entire period since we plan to drive around to see the foliage?
We have never been to Vermont so we don't know how much time it takes to get around in Vermont or how easy it is. Thanks

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:03 pm

Dragonfly,I would stay in the Rutland-Killington area at that time. The best foliage should be around route US 4 and south of there. Yes you can see a lot of foliage in 4 days. On the west side I like routes US7,7A,30,133,140 and the Skyline Drive to the top of Mt.Equinox in Manchester. On the east side I like routes 11, 12,30,35,44,103,106,121,and 131. Route 100 is a nice ride anytime but the foliage may be on the late side. Ask the locals about the foliage above route US4. There may be some good foliage left.

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the foliage forcaster in www.foliage-vermont.com, and it shows peaking in the Rutland area only on the 10th. That would be our last day in Vermont. So shouldn't we stay in place where it is peak for most of our vacation, such as Stowe? Sorry, I have never seen a proper fall season and my question may seem silly.

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:34 pm

With peak foliage around Route US4 on the 10th, that would mean that peak foliage will be between Routes US2 and US4 from the 6th to the 10th and very good foliage south of route US4. Foliage north of route US2 will be going by in most areas. You can drive route 100 from Killington to Waterbury in about an hour and drive to Bennington and Brattleboro in about the same time. That would put near the middle of the best foliage. However, if you feel that you should stay farther north you would still be be within reach of the best foliage. Find a place in the Stowe/Waterbury, Barre-Montpelier, or the Waitsfield areas. And do route 100 south first. It will be near the end of the season in that time period. And if you happen to see a local Chicken and Biscuit or Ham dinner around eating time, stop in and give a try. You won't find better eating at a great price anywhere.

Ron

Postby Ron » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:53 pm

The best advice we have received in our trips to Vermont is to not be afraid to travel the back roads unless it is raining. We have driven many miles of the country roads which seem to be very similar to our caliche roads in Texas. They are excellent and the color is outstanding. Do not be limited to just the highways.

Return to “Foliage Forum”