Planning NE honeymoon next Oct.

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Crossroadz

Planning NE honeymoon next Oct.

Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:20 am

The fiance and I will be honeymooning in NE Oct. 9-19, 2005. We plan on hiking and viewing the fall foliage.

We plan on visiting the White Mountains, as well as Woodstock/Stowe. Based on this year and previous years peak times (I understand there's no set date for peak), how should we plan the honeymoon? Should VT be first on the list (spend 3-5 days), and then NH (also 3-5 days)? Or vice versa? It's more important that we hit VT during peak, rather than NH.

Thanks for any replies.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Planning NE honeymoon next Oct.

Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:57 am

Your timetable for hitting Vermont is good, but you maybe a little early for the Woodstock area. If that happens, make allowance to head north up I-91 to the Northeast Kingdom. As you travel the highway north, you will see the foliage change...there is usually about a week's difference between the north and the south. Of course, you never know, so keep your eye on this board for reports around the time of your visit.
I'd hit Vermont first, then curve back down south again :) , possibly going through St.Johnsbury and Littleton on I-93 towards Concord, Manchester and Boston.

pwt54

Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:04 pm

I agree with Tim. Both areas will peak at the same time at around Oct. 9th. Stay in Stowe for 3 days and then the White Mountains for 3 days. Then head for Woodstock for the remaining days.

Crossroadz

Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:49 pm

Which makes more sense:

Spending the first 6 days in Stowe, making that our base, and taking daily roadtrips (including Woodstock)...or should we make Woodstock our base? And then spending the last 4 days in White Mountain.

Or should we spend 3 days in Stowe, 3 days in White Mountain, and then 3 days in Woodstock.

Or any other suggestions on where to stay (base) or how to break up the 10 days would be appreciated.

pwt54

Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:04 am

Peak foliage works from north to south. It should be close to peak in Stowe on Oct. 9th. Peak in the White Mountains should be at the same time. By the time you get to Woodstock at the last part of your honeymoon, peak foliage will be there. The only problem I see is that peak will be in Stowe and the White Mountains at the same time. It's hard to decide if you should do Stowe or the White Mountains first. One thing you should be aware of is the Fryeburg Fair in Maine. It's right next door to Conway, NH. and until the middle of Oct.. Rooms will be hard to find within 30 miles. Another thing to consider is that Stowe and the White Mountains are only about 2 hours from each other and Woodstock is only about 1 hour south of Stowe and about 3 hours from the White Mountains.