Stowe and foliage

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

MaryJr

Stowe and foliage

Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:13 pm

New here to the board and I've been trying to catch up on a lot of the posts.

My husband and I are planning on a trip NEXT year to view the foliage. Right now, we are thinking of staying in Stowe, only because there seems to be more to do in that area than many others. We have options as to when to go, but we've kind of decided on Sept 29 thru Oct 1. Columbus Day weekend is the following weekend (Oct 8,9,10), and I'm thinking it will be particularly crowded that weekend, and am avoiding it for that reason, and that the following weekend (Oct 14-15)would be too late.
Am I right in the timing? Or would Columbus Day weekend be no more crowded than the other two? :confused:

pwt54

Re: Stowe and foliage

Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:59 pm

Columbus Day weekend will be the busiest. The weekend before might be a little early for peak foliage in Stowe itself but the area northeast of Stowe should be peaking. There still should be good color near Stowe around the 15th, but it will be better southeast of Stowe. Because it has so much lodging and so many great restuarants, I like to recommend Stowe as a base for the early part of foliage season. For the time you are planning you can reach peak foliage in about an hour.

MaryJr

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:25 am

Thanks for the reply. But if you say that the end of Sept going into first of Oct will not be peak color time yet in Stowe, will there be color at all? I'm really flexible with my dates so I can decide on any weekend. And am I right in thinking that the Stowe area would give us the most to see and do?

pwt54

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:29 pm

If it's like this year there will be early color. The best color at late Sept. is in northeastern Vermont. The first weekend in Oct. will be better in Stowe with fewer tourists than Columbus Weeekend.

pwt54

Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:41 pm

Sorry to break off, had a phone call. Stowe and the surrounding area have a lot of things to see and do besides foliage. You can hike or drive to the top of Mt. Mansfield or sptil the difference and take the gondola about 3/4 of the way up the mountain and hike the rest. There rea some great places to eat in Stowe. In Burlington you have boat rides on Lake Champlain, the Shelburne Museum, and the Waterfront Park. Just down the road from Stowe you have Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory, The Cabot Annex Store with cheese samples, and the Cold Hollow Cider Mill. Plus if you want quite roads to view the foliage, the roads north and northeast of Stowe are the ones.

MaryJr

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:33 pm

Thanks so much for your advice. We haven't quite decided where we are staying yet, but we've got it narrowed down to two or three that we like the best. I haven't looked into restaurants at all yet. But I've got a lot of time for planning, so I'm not worried. :)