Fall Foliage - 10/5 - 10/10

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Fall Foliage - 10/5 - 10/10

Tue Aug 21, 2001 8:51 am

Hello there!<P>My family and I are currently planning our first trip to Vermont for the fall foliage. Our main objective is to photograph the splendor of fall foliage in your state. I would greatly appreciate any suggestion that you might have regarding where to stay and routes to take in order to capture the full spectrum of fall colors.<P>I am looking forward to hearing from you all.<P>Regards,<BR>Anh

svmoderator

Re: Fall Foliage - 10/5 - 10/10

Tue Aug 21, 2001 10:58 am

Dear Anh,<BR>During Oct. 5 -10, I recommend staying in Central Vermont, either near Killington or Woodstock. That way, you'll be likely to have great foliage where you're staying, and also if it's better further north you can drive north on Rte. 100 from Killington and take in the vistas from the Brandon Gap on Rte. 73, the Middlebury Gap on Rte. 125, the Appalachian Gap on Rte. 17, and between there and Middlebury, the Lincoln Gap and the Roxbury Gap (both out of Warren) are also spectacular. Also, you should take a Killingtion gondola ride, the views from the top of Killington peak are magnificent, I was just there Sunday and can imagine how beautiful it will be come foliage season. Also, if you stay in Killington and the peak color happened to be a little early, you can head south on Rte. 100 for day trips and take in the vistas at Stratton Mtn. and Mt. Snow areas. Try <A HREF="http://www.woodstockvt.com," TARGET=_blank>www.woodstockvt.com,</A> <A HREF="http://www.easternvermont.com" TARGET=_blank>www.easternvermont.com</A> or <A HREF="http://www.vermontcrossroads.com" TARGET=_blank>www.vermontcrossroads.com</A> for specifi area information. Also, check out our site, <A HREF="http://www.foliage-vermont.com," TARGET=_blank>www.foliage-vermont.com,</A> and monitor this forum as the season progresses for the latest foliage reports...right now, you can see what is typically expected in terms of color change.<BR>Susanne<p>[This message has been edited by svmoderator (edited 08-21-2001).]

Kerry Gough

Tue Aug 21, 2001 9:08 pm

Hi, Susanne. I remember so well many of your suggestions last year and appreciate them this year, too. I was curious about the Killington Gondola. Is it a multiple passenger one or limited to four or six people, which I prefer? Will be in Woodstock 10/4 and 5; Manchester 6, 7 and 8; Waitsfield (Round Barn) 9 and 10. <P>Appreciate the Forum and the Web Site. It is great for planning and certainly builds the excitement of coming back to Vermont. Your thoughtful and helpful words confirm we are going to the right places as good day trip points. Thanks!

svmoderator

Thu Aug 23, 2001 10:43 am

Kerry,<BR>So nice to hear from you again! Glad you're still enjoying our site! The Killington gondola that runs all summer and through foliage is either a 6- or 8-passenger gondola. I've never been on it full except during ski season, and I can't remember if we had 6 or 8, I think it was probably 8. This past Sunday we were there with three people and had one car to ourselves. I can't imagine that it would be so busy, even during peak foliage, that you'd have to double-up and fill the car if you didn't want to...and, the view is definitely worth the trip on the gondola, it's gorgeous. Also, they have a cafeteria, restaurant, and restrooms at the top, so you don't have to go without services once you get there. Kerry, have you seen the new site linked to Scenes of Vermont called <A HREF="http://www.foliage-vermont.com?" TARGET=_blank>www.foliage-vermont.com?</A> It's new, and it's got some really beautiful photos on it...also a map of Vermont that shows how the foliage progresses throughout the season. Keep monitoring our sites for news as your trip approaches! It sounds like you have your Vermont foliage trip planned once again at the optimum time! Enjoy it! Susanne<p>[This message has been edited by svmoderator (edited 08-23-2001).]

Thu Aug 23, 2001 3:38 pm

Dear Susanne,<P>Thank you very much for your suggestions. Following your recommendations, we have decided to stay in the Killington area. We cannot wait to try the routes that you suggested.<P>If you have time, could you advise me on the typical weather for that time of the year? In addition, any advise regarding the driving and parking is definitely welcome.<P>Once again, thank you.<P>Anh

svmoderator

Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:14 pm

Dear Anh,<BR>I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. From there, you can head east over US Rte. 4 to Woodstock if you want to meander through a quaint New England Village...north on Rte. 100 for more quaint villages and scenic mountaintops rimming the valley you're driving through. Or continue south to Plymouth and Ludlow. Any direction, there's a photo opportunity awaiting you. Oh, and you shouldn't miss the Quechee Gorge, just 6 miles beyond Woodstock on Rte. 4.<P>As to weather...early October is often comprised of glorious sunny days in the high 60s or low 70s (Fahrenheit) during the day, cooler at night sometimes 40 degrees or even lower overnight. You should monitor our web site for weather as your trip approaches, this guideline can vary widely at times. In general, I'd say bring extra layers in case of cooler temperatures, and there's always the off-chance of a shower or two, so don't forget your foul weather gear just in case. The roads I have mentioned are 2-lane, paved highways that wind through the valleys and over the hillsides. If you cross many gaps, some may not be paved, but some are such as Rte. 125 from Hancock (on Rte. 100) to Middlebury. Also Rte. 73 from Rochester to Brandon is paved, and likewise Rte. 17 over the Appalachian Gap. The Lincoln Gap from Warren to Lincoln is not paved and is not open in winter, but it should be fine when you are here. Also the Bethel Gap from Rochester to Bethel is a beautiful gap, you can see Killington peak from the top, and it is paved also. At that time of year, you should have no problem driving, and the only towns where parking could be a concern are busy days in Woodstock and Stowe, probably Manchester also...but everywhere else, there's never a parking issue. The Killington area has plenty of parking. Enjoy your trip! Susanne