Manchester This Weekend....

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

JIMC

Manchester This Weekend....

Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:04 pm

I am taking my wife to Manchester from sat-tues. Can anyone give me a few places to look for foliage. Also I am into photography, and am looking for a few great places to shoot. Any great farms, waterfalls, covered bridges not to far from where I will be staying, Thanks Jim

pwt54

Re: Manchester This Weekend....

Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:56 pm

The First road I’d take is the Skyline Drive to the top of Mt. Equinox. It’s paved to the top with great views. It starts of route 7A just south of Manchester. There are 2 covered bridges in Arlington. One is off route 313 west of Arlington. You can see it from the road. Norman Rockwell lived near this bridge. The other one is on the East Arlington Road. There are 3 covered bridges in Bennington off route 67A. One is on the Silk Road. And the other 2 are on the Murphy Road. I can’t help you with water falls down there. The locals may know of a few not too far off the road.

ixl

Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:18 pm

The best-known waterfall in the area is Hamilton Falls in Jamaica SP.. but that's a pretty long drive from Manchester. I can try to find some others, I have a list.

I drove past Manchester today.. color seems only "eh" in that area -- it's a bit early and this is a very late year for the valleys. Stick to the higher elevations -- the western spine of the Greens looks VERY nice.

Oh, and unless you are into antiquing or such, take route 7 and not 7A going from Bennington to Manchester. The color on route 7 is MUCH nicer right now (drove both a few hours ago.) --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:57 pm

Ayup, but if they want to take photos of farms and old houses they will have to do 7A, 30, 153,and 315 also.

ixl

Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:13 pm

Yep... 7 if you want to see leaves and mountainsides, 7A if you want to see "Vermont".

The color on 7A (along the road) just strikes me as poor right now -- even from elevation effects. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!