scenic roads and loops around Mount Equinox

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

sophocles

scenic roads and loops around Mount Equinox

Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:42 am

I am planning to visit Mount Equinox the coming Sunday (Oct 10). I will be driving from Albany around 10 am. I would greatly appreciate if someone can suggest any scenic roads and loops around this area. I want to drive around till 6 pm that day.

Thank You.

pwt54

Re: scenic roads and loops around Mount Equinox

Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:35 pm

It's route 149. It will take you to I-87 going through Fort Ann. The routes for Pawlet and Rupert are 315 and 153 off routes 30. I saw 2 moose just south of West Rupert last spring.

sophocles

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:34 pm

Sorry, I couldnt make it to Mt.Equinox and Bennington earlier. I am planning this saturday the same areas from Albany. Thank You for the alternate routes. Are they still worth driving ? I mean, is the foliage still colorful? Thank You.

dfpvt

Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:34 pm

The foliage in Mt. Equinox area has peaked. Still plenty of leaves, but all gold/brown now. It's very scenic because there seem to be more leaves hanging on longer, BUT there's little or no red left.

Troy-Bennington and Greenwich, NY-West Rupert was peaking last weekend. It might be ok this weekend. Probably past peak, but still pretty.

Reports are better from NW VT nearer L. Champlain.
Might be worth driving up the Northway then crossing to VT at Crown Pt or Essex.

pwt54

Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:42 pm

If there is any good color left it will be between Rutland and Burlington in the Champlain Valley. It was very good last weekend but I'm not sure how it will be this weekend. Check out the Snow Geese post. It's quite a show if they are near the fence.