Status of Woodstock area?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Status of Woodstock area?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:27 pm

Anyone know how it is looking in the Woodstock area? Trying to decide whether I should spend some time there at the end of my current trip, on Thursday, or to take a friend up there this weekend, probably Sunday or Monday.

I am more interested in the color at the lower and mid-elevations than what it is doing on the hilltops. Any advice appreciated! --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

mg8470

Re: Status of Woodstock area?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:51 pm

Just left Wooodstock yesterday, Monday. The color was not the best, we came down from Stowe and it was much better further north. Hwy 4 around Killington was great. The colors on Hwy 12 between Morrisville and the Capital were fantastic. Woodstock was also very crowded, no where to park.

ixl

Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:39 am

Thanks for the update! Well, I never spend time in towns unless I have to so the crowds and parking aren't a concern.. but it sounds like it might be a bit early yet. I'll stay further north. --c

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:16 am

Charles, in that area,draw a line straight across route 65 and stay north. The only exception is Vershire heights on route 113 and of course route 100. In an article in the Burlington Free Press, Waitsfield held their Peak Foliage festival yesterday, but Peak Foliage forgot to attend. It's still early there. This is turning out to be a strange season.

ixl

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:55 pm

Yeah, after driving around the last couple of days I see that everywhere.. some areas have great foliage while others right near them are horrible. Seemingly little rhyme or reason. There are areas low down with bare trees, while I just drove Lincoln Gap and it is gorgeous. Strange. --c

Bridgewater peeper

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:15 pm

IXL, you need to come up to our place this weekend, I'll pm you my #'s and directions. We have a beautiful meadow up the mt. a ways in Bridgewater Corners. For the past 2 years, the color has been awsome. PWT54 may know of this place. Its the "Scholfield Place" Everyone in Bridgewater knows where it is. I would be honored if you would take some pics. I havent a clue how to use my camera and shoot the beauty that is there. There is a pond a few miles up the mt. that is very sweet. We have a 4X4 truck that can access it, as I type this I am remembering an awsome view from this camp well up the mt. I will be in touch. Monte

ixl

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:00 pm

Wow, that sounds awesome! I have a friend coming up on Sunday to shoot in VT for the first time... appreciate the offer! --c