Hazen's Notch update

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Hazen's Notch update

Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:33 am

I'm too late for IXL, but the rest of you should know that Hazens Notch is not good. And with the wind we have right now it's getting worse. I also checked some other roads in the area. By this weekend I can't recommend anything much above route 15.

sharan

Re: Hazen's Notch update

Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:55 pm

Thanks for that info. Are you saying you would forget Rt 100 all the way north of 15 this coming weekend? And what's your advice concerning the NEK this weekend? I was thinking about the Burke Mountain Toll Road then. Tomorrow(Tuesday) is my last day to have internet access so I won't get the updates later in the week. I need to nail down my routes and hope for the best!

pwt54

Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:01 pm

The way things are going I'd head south of Burke. Colors on Burke Mountain won't be the best but I'd go up anyways. The views are worth it. I've got another mountain for you, however. It's Owl's Head Mountain in the Groton State Forest. It has great views and the colors a great in that area right now and it's FREE. Take route 232 through Groton State Forest and look for a sign that says Owl's Head Scenic Overlook and drive that road to the parking lot and hike the 2/10 of a mile trail to the top and wander around. That pond you see when you first get to the top is Kettle Pond. There is a nice trail along the pond and some great colors all over the Forest.

ixl

Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:15 am

Thanks pwt. I guess this must be a "personal taste" thing because I am off that road right now and think the whole area looks great. The tippy tops of the mtns are a bit off but I don't care, as the trees close to me are MUCH better than they were last week. :)

I'm logging off now... going up Hazen's, then going to loop around back through Smuggler's and then head east to do Groton SF tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help pwt! And if you have any other updates, feel free to fire away, I will see them when I next log on. ;) --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

rpk4398

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:44 pm

Hi,
New member here. A photographer planning a first trip to southern Vermont: Kelly Stand Road, Jamaica State Park, Green Mountains, etc. per recommendation of Middleton. Some of the reports are a little confusing for the first timer. Are the colors peaking in the higher elevations here, but not yet in the lowland? What is the projected peak period? Charles, great photos. Thanks.

ixl

Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:01 pm

Thanks rpk.

Unfortunately, the higher elevations of southern VT didn't have a banner year, and there was a lot of leaf drop when I drove the Kelly Stand Road on Sunday. You will want to stick to the Roaring Branch section near Arlington. I think the higher elevation of route 9 is also past peak now, but not sure.

Haven't been to Jamaica SP yet, that should be okay. I will try to give a report on the status of the lower elevs this weekend. -c-

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:05 pm

I think I'll let Charles handle this one. I haven't been down there in a year. I'm sorry to hear about Kelly Stand. I was planning to get down there soon.

rpk4398

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:56 am

By "Roaring Branch", did you mean the "Branch Pond Road (Forest Service Road 70) leads north to Bracnch Pond", quote from Middleton? Any suggestions about how north should I go for some good high elevation or hill side colors. I plan to be in the area within the next week. Thanks.

pwt54

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:49 am

The Roaring Branch is a stream next to the Kelly Stand Road. Road 70 may tricky in a car.

pwt54

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:54 am

For best color and hillsides route 100 from about Rochester north is good. Right now the area between Route US 2 and US 302 and route 15 is the best area. If that sounds a bit confusing, remember that route 100 turns earlier than the rest of the State so you will have good color south of route US 2.

ixl

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:59 pm

Yes, I meant the river on the west side of Kelly Stand Road, in Arlington. Gorgeous river (and one that Middleton really likes, if you look in the back of his book...)

I am right now in a secluded area of Goshen prepping for the evening. Tomorrow my plan is to "ride the gaps"... going to drive around the Ripton/Lincoln area and drive the various gap roads. I raced through Lincoln Gap to get up top for sunset and as I was driving through Lincoln the color was great! Not on the very mountain tops of course, but overall it is superb. --c

ixl

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:59 pm

Yes, I meant the river on the west side of Kelly Stand Road, in Arlington. Gorgeous river (and one that Middleton really likes, if you look in the back of his book...)

I am right now in a secluded area of Goshen prepping for the evening. Tomorrow my plan is to "ride the gaps"... going to drive around the Ripton/Lincoln area and drive the various gap roads. I raced through Lincoln Gap to get up top for sunset and as I was driving through Lincoln the color was great! Not on the very mountain tops of course, but overall it is superb. --c

rpk4398

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:47 am

Charles and pwt, thanks for the clarification. I'm heading towards Kelly Stand Road area, and may wander up north. If you spot a black Jetta and a tripod, that's me!