PWT's foliage update Oct. 3

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

PWT's foliage update Oct. 3

Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:44 pm

Well, I just got back from my foliage check. I picked up my brother and we headed up route 16 to the Busy Bee Diner in Glover for a late breakfast. The colors on route 15 from Morrisville to Hardwick are very good as were the colors on route 16. I talked with the locals and they say the colors are stiil good all over the Northeast Kingdom. Leafpeeping should be good all over up there until this weekend and past peak above route 58. I went down to Cabot and the colors are looking good and not yet peak. Then I drove route 232 through the Groton State Forest. The colors there are great. I walked along Kettle Pond and took some photos and took some photos at Ricker Pond. I was having so much fun that my brother had to drag me back to the car kicking and screaming “I wanta stay, I wanta stay”. He was yelling “You’re the moderator, you’re the moderator”. This is the HOT SPOT in the area!! Drive the Owls Head Scenic Outlook Road to the parking lot and hike the 2/10 of a mile to the top for some great views. Drive the Boulder Beach Road to the gate and park and walk down to the beach for great colors. Hike along Kettle Pond for great color. When you get near the end of route 232 you will see Ricker Pond on your left. Park in the parking lot at the bottom of the pond and walk the old railroad bed rec. trail. I finished route 232 to route 302 and went to the store just down the road. It has a deli and snack bar. It’s the only place to eat around. We went up to Peacham and Barnet. The colors are early in that area. Should be nice but early this weekend. Took the West Barnet road through West Barnet and on to Barnet. As we neared Ben’s Mill we saw it was opened, so we stopped in and took a tour. It has a woodworking shop with equipment built in the late 1800’ and very early 1900’s. There is a blacksmith shop, also. The new owner took down to the basement to see the turbine. The mill is not running right now. The owner is restoring the building right now and because the State removed the dam after Ben died, the owner has installed an old industrial motor to run the mill in the future. All the equipment is in running condition so all he has to do is hook up the motor. He would like to talk the State into letting him put in a temporary dam to run the mill through the summer and open the dam up the rest of the year. If you drive the road between West Barnet and Barnet and the mill is open stop in. It’s free. They also have the tape of the documentary about the mill on sale. I then went to Barnet and drove Route US 5 south to route 244 in Ely. Colors were good down to Bradford. I took routes 244, 113, 110, 14, 65 and 12. Colors are all very early all the way up to route US 2. I took the Roxbury Mountain Road to Warren and route 100. I was shocked at how early the colors were. It look like nothing had changed from last weekend. We had supper in Waterbury and because it was too dark we headed for home. I can’t tell you what Stowe was like. My brother works in Stowe and he doesn’t think it’s peak yet. I would say that anything above route US 2 from Burlington to Montpelier and Route US 302 from Montpelier to New Hampshire will be very good to peak except the extreme northeast area and that area will still have good late color.

Kerry Gough

Re: PWT's foliage update Oct. 3

Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:14 pm

Thanks, PWT, for your good reports and suggestions. I really enjoyed your interview, too. You have a special gift for good sharing of information.

We are coming to VT Thursday staying in Manchester. Fri and Sat nights will be in Woodstock and Sun and Mon in Waitsfield. What are my best routes in those areas for the best color for country rides on those days?

Am flying into Hartford. Planning on going thru central MA up to Mohawk Trail, over to Rt 8A
and then up to Rt 100 and to West Wardsboro. There I will go west and travel Kelly Stand Road, going on to West Arlington, and then back to 7A and to Manchester.

Friday, planning on going to Peru and then Hapgood Pond route to Weston. From there, go to Heldsville, North Shrewsbury, take the mountain road to Rt 100 and stop at Plymouth Notch. May then go to Killington for the Gondolla ride and then on to Woodstock.

Saturday, We will hit the roads around Woodstock and Quechee as I know most of them from previous visits. I was thinking of the southern direction, like near Jenne Farm, and then the northern route towards Pomfret, Sharon, Thetford, Strafford, Turnbridge, South Royalton, Bethel, Barnard and back to Woodstock.

Sunday we drive to Waitsfield. Plan on taking the Rochester Mtn road from near Bethel, the Brandon Gap west and then pick up the Middlebury Gap back to the east and Rt. 100. From there, north on to Warren, and of course the Warren Store, and then to East Warren Road and the Inn at the Round Barn.

On Monday, will probably drive north towards Stowe and Smugglers Notch and then maybe over to Montpelier, Barre, back through the Northfield area and the Roxbury Gap back to East Warren Road and Waitsfield. As we head to NH on Tuesday, probably take Roxbury Gap again, take Rt 64 from 112 and take roads to Rt 302. Will then take the road to Peacham, on to West Barnet, East Barnet, St. Johnsbury and I-93 into NH.

Your thoughts concerning the potential color for these days in those areas would be very helpful to me. I can easily take aternate routes and directions if the color might would be best other than where I have outlined. Your advice would be very helpful and very sincerely appreciated by us and our traveling companions.

This will be their first trip to Vermont and I so much want to satisfy the excitement they have displayed as our departure date grows near. Again, thanks for your good information you have shared on the Foliage Forum.

mle95

Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:19 pm

Hi,

We will be in Williston during the Oct 16th weekend. Is it peak foliage or is it late in the Burlington/Lake champlain area? Can you tell us the scenic routes around the area. I think rt. 100 is a bit far from the area.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.
M.L.

Originally posted by pwt54:
Well, I just got back from my foliage check. I picked up my brother and we headed up route 16 to the Busy Bee Diner in Glover for
peak except the extreme northeast area and that area will still have good late color.

Kai

Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:26 am

Hi, BM,
How is Chittenden Resevoir? Is it good in general? Will I see teh peak this weekend?

What about Lake Bomoseen?

Thanks,

Kai

pwt54

Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:49 pm

Kerry, down as far as Manchester you need to be in the highlands. From the roads you have mentioned down there I'd say you are going to the right areas. Woodstock itself will be early. You need the highlands and route 100 again. Yhe Rochester Mtn. Road is acually the Bethel Mtn. Road. The road starts as the Brook Road about 3 miles north of Bethel and the left side of route 12. The road is a little hard to find because the street sign is at a bad angle. The Brook Rd. splits into a "Y" as it meets route 12. There should be some good colors there and 2 great views on the top. Colors should good from there and north to Waitsfield. Roxbury Gap was real nice yesterday. You'll love the Inn!. Colors above Waitsfield should be rockin'.

pwt54

Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:01 pm

The Lake Champlain is a warmer climate than the rest of the State, so it turns later. I use to work in Williston and I've seen good color that late. I agree with BM about Chittenden. There should be early turning maples up there with their red and orange leaves. There are some great views up there. Lake Bomoseen is a bit of a crap shoot. It is a swampy area and if there are any red maples they should be turning soon.