Just Got Back from NEK: Foliage Feast for the Eyes!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Tippy

Just Got Back from NEK: Foliage Feast for the Eyes!

Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:50 pm

Just arrived home from the best foliage trip of my life in the Northeast Kingdom! We mapped out lots of routes from this forum. They are awesome! Staying in the lovely town of Peacham as our base, we started out on Saturday with my most anticipated trip, the route out of East Burke to 114 up to Island Pond. The colors and views of the ranges took my breath away. I couldn't imagine anything so beautiful existed. We went back to 105 west and took a long dirt road (desolate and bumpy-my van was fine)down the mountain to the most incredible view of Willoughby Lake you can imagine! It ended at the town of Westmore at the T intersection. The lake is exquisite, the colors still beautiful. Traveled up 5A and then to Irasburg on 58 west and south on 14 to Craftsbury Common and Craftsbury on to Hardwick and then down 15 to Danville. The colors are great! Today (Sunday) we started out with the Danville Autumn Fair on the Green. What a great fair and crafts and town! (Had dinner at The Creamery on Friday night - fabulous - try the Maple Cream Pie!). We then drove west on 2 out of Danville to a back road -the Danville-Cabot Road to a view of the town of Cabot that was gorgeous. Took 215 west and stopped at the Cabot Creamery and then continued on to route 2 east to Marshfield to another lovely, winding back road - 232 South - through the Groton State Forest, stopping at Peacham Pond first. The forest was lit up with the brilliant sunshine today. Peacham Pond is serene. Then traveled to Groton and turned on a road that went through Topsham Four Corners and Topsham. I must say that the atlas saved us from any wrong turns and to make things more exciting, we ventured on a lot of back roads that we don't think we could have done without the atlas. What a fabulous state! Never saw such beautiful colors! Wish I had another few days. This is where the colors are right now and I am thrilled that we made the effort to go so far north! This forum made it possible! Thanks for all the help!

kaynephoto

Re: Just Got Back from NEK: Foliage Feast for the Eyes!

Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:15 pm

You covered a lot of distance in the NE Kingdom. It sounds as peak is hitting up north now. When do you think peak will hit Peacham and the central areas?

Glad you had a good time.
Joseph Kayne
Joseph Kayne Photography
www.josephkaynephoto.com

salesmom

Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:41 pm

Sounds like a great trip. We leave tomorrow for Burlington. This is our first trip...would we be close enough (from Burlington) to make this same route?

salesmom

Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:42 pm

Sounds like a great trip. We leave tomorrow for Burlington. This is our first trip...would we be close enough (from Burlington) to make this same route?

salesmom

Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:42 pm

Tippy

Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:20 pm

Originally posted by Joseph Kayne Photography:
You covered a lot of distance in the NE Kingdom. It sounds as peak is hitting up north now. When do you think peak will hit Peacham and the central areas?

Glad you had a good time.

Tippy

Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:22 pm

Mr. Kayne: When I was in Peacham all weekend it was near peak; I wouldn't be surprised if it reached peak during the next few days especially with the cold snap and scattered frost on the way mid-week.

Tippy

Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:30 pm

Salesmom: It depends on where you are staying. We left at 9:30 in the a.m. from Peacham and didn't get back until 4:00 on Day One and that was non-stop driving. Pretty exhausting.

pwt54

Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:32 pm

Joseph, I was in Peacham today and you will be fine for this week. I was also in the Groton Sate Forest today, also and I agree. It is beautiful there right now. It's farther along than Peacham.

kaynephoto

Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:42 pm

Thanks, PWT. Do you think the color will last in Peacham until next weekend or would I be better going south?

Joe.
Joseph Kayne
Joseph Kayne Photography
www.josephkaynephoto.com

pwt54

Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:43 pm

The Peacham area is about 1 1/2 hours from Burlington using I-89 to Montpelier and route US 2 to Danville. When you drive into Danville you will see a flashing yellow light and a village on the right with 3 roads. Take the middle road, the Peacham Road. When you get done in Peacham, continue the Peacham road south to route 302 in Groton. Turn right and drive until you see route 232 on the right. Take route 232 through Groton State Forest. to route US 2. It's beautiful! At route US 2 turn left to get back to Montpelier.

pwt54

Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:54 pm

OH YES !