need guidence

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

leafpeep

need guidence

Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:24 pm

I am in Newhampshire. I am new to this area. I need advice on the fall foliage routes for this weekend 10/02. Also suggest a good place to stay. I am planning to start on Saturday during the day and spend the day in seeing the foliage in vermont and any acitivities around the region, stay overnight . go for a nice foliage trip on Sunday and be back. please suggest the best routes . BTW I am in Nashua , NH .

pwt54

Re: need guidence

Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:07 am

Best color in Vermont will be north of route US 2 and east of route 108. There will be good color on route 100 as far south as route US 4 also. For rooms in Vt. check the Stowe, Waitsfield and Burlington area. They have the most rooms. If things aren't looking good drop down the the route US 4 corridor. There are a lot of rooms there and the colors are still early. If you are looking for a room in NH., I'd stay right in the Manchester / Nashua area. Finding rooms in the White Mtns. is hard enough, but with the Fryeburg Fair starting on the 3rd it may be impossible.

ixl

Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:29 pm

Actually I slept in my car the last 3 nights... first time ever trying it, and it worked out great! Total freedom and slept much better than I ever did in a tent. And you can't beat the price! ;) Of course it's not for everyone. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

cashelan

Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:41 am

ixl... I am planning to camp and I dont know what am I going to do after the sun sets... How did you manage in the car..

ixl

Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:30 am

Actually I found it a lot easier than tent camping. Much faster to get ready for bed at night, and no need to deal with a sopping wet tent in the morning -- so I could be on my way in 15-20 minutes.

I have a rented SUV with split-back seats. I would find a good spot, and make sure the vehicle was level. Move my stuff, fold the seat down and put down my thermarest pad and sleeping bag. When ready for bed I turned the heat on max and blasted the car for a bit of warmth. When going to bed I would leave the keys in the ignition so when I awoke I could reach over and crank the ignition (with the heat still on max) to get the car warmed up quickly while still staying in my sleeping bag. ;)

Now.. I should say that this was relatively easy this past week because it was pretty warm. We'll see how well I do this coming week when it will be in the 30s and 20s at night! :eek:

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

cashelan

Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:18 am

Thanks.. You have ignited an idea in me

ixl

Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:16 pm

What's the idea? :) --c