VT Rt. 4 Report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

MinnieB

VT Rt. 4 Report

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:43 pm

I drove back from western PA today, coming across the NY Thruway - Rt. 90, thru Ballston Spa, Fort Ann, Whitehall, NY via NY Rt 4 south then crossed over to VT on Rt. 4 east. Most color I saw around Rutland was a bit muted, more russet tones. I did see one beautiful fully turned bright yellow tree when I was on the Rt. 4 east Bypass. I didn't see any yellow this week in OH, PA, NY and some spotty yellow in VT. Lots of red and oranges coming out early this year it seems. The first mountain I came upon heading east between Rutland and Killington, did not look great, a lot of brown, but still a lot that hasn't turned. Then in Killington more color is coming. Raeback Mountain is looking like it will be colorful. I would expect later next week or the weekend for it to fully "bloom." I'd say the same for most of the other mountains around Killington. I popped over to Kent Pond, maybe 20 - 25% turned. There were some bright colors there. As you are entering Woodstock heading east, the mountain/hill there on the right is getting some good color. Other than that most of Woodstock did not look great. A lot of trees along the river have browned. I noticed that elsewhere during my trip. Trees along the rivers and streams are green-brown. I did see some swamp maples here and there displaying bright colors, though. Quechee Gorge has a little color on the south side. It still has quite a ways to go, still a lot of green. Lots of people there today, though. Oddly, I found the most color and brightest color right here in Lebanon, NH. As I came into downtown via exit 18, Rt. 89 is bounded by two bright yellow trees. More of the same along Hanover Street along with some fully turned red-orange maples. The municipal parking lot over by CCBA was full of trees turned bright yellow as was the pedestrian walkway. So if you want to see yellow right now, Lebanon is the place it seems. Other than that there is a mix of trees fully turned and some still getting started.

I'm guessing for VT this weekend it's best to be up north Rt. 4.