September 21st, first State foliage report for the 2022 season

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

September 21st, first State foliage report for the 2022 season

Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:37 pm

he first day of fall is September 22, and while foliage conditions in Vermont are still in the very early stages, the colors are synced up with the calendar. Things are about to ramp up and conditions on the ground can change fast, so soak up every opportunity to get outside and enjoy the show. Particularly in northeastern parts of the state and along the spine of the Green Mountains, yellows are emerging from birch, cherry, and ash, while the more stressed maples that turn sooner are starting to show reds and oranges.

Due to recent rain and wind, some of these stressed trees that are changing early are beginning to drop leaves—but not to worry, there’s so much more to come. This first small phase adds a three-dimensionality to foliage, coloring both the ground and the branches above, opening pockets within the forest to see the depth of foliage yet to turn.

This week’s weather forecast includes a fair amount of rain, and as long as it’s on the gentle side, this will be to our leaf peeping advantage as one of the key ingredients for stunning autumn leaves.

Recreation Recommendations & Best Bets

This is a magical time of year when many of summer’s best activities are still hanging on even as the turning leaves usher in fall. If you’re feeling hardy, there’s still a lingering window for swimming and enjoying a sun-soak on a beach at one of Vermont’s state parks, even as you take in the hints of color on standout trees. Why not make a weekend of it and plan to camp while you’re there? Visit the Vermont State Parks Operating Schedule to see which parks are still open to enjoy the best of summer and fall.

To catch the most color this week, head to the Northeast Kingdom or high elevations in the Green Mountains. Brighton State Park is one great destination for swimming, hiking, boating, and more, as are the nearby multi-use Kingdom Trails.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: September 21st, first State foliage report for the 2022 season

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:16 am

We are experiencing steady, high wind gusts here in northern CT from the passing hurricane's wind field zones. Started last night. I'm glad the trees are still green or in the early stages right now. Always something to be mindful of in the future. Hopefully, we will not experience windy conditions like this in the coming weeks! :x

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:59 am

I just saw that we are having another wind/breezy event here Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Mother Nature better hurry up and tap down the wind in the coming weeks. Also, anyone reading about the Florida hurricane coming up the east coast the first week of October? Say it ain't so! :shock:

Colorado Mom

Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:45 am

We are watching things too. As of now our weather looks fine for next week. We are glad our layover is in Chicago rather than Baltimore just in case. When we made reservations at Stowe they said we are coming at the perfect time so I'm going with that. Positive thoughts!!! I'm not letting anything spoil my trip :D