First Day of Meteorological Fall Ushers in Cool, Crisp and Breezy Autumn Air to the Northeast! 9/1/22

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

First Day of Meteorological Fall Ushers in Cool, Crisp and Breezy Autumn Air to the Northeast! 9/1/22

Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:18 pm

Happy first day of meteorological fall! September 1, 2022! What a gorgeous autumn day here in New England! Ahhh, you can just feel the change of seasons today, and tonight in northern CT it will be 49!! Windows open tonight and don't forget to get that down comforter out too! It will probably warm up again, but just feeling that dry, cool air was a true delight today. Blue bird skies, 70s and perhaps a light jacket tonight? YES! I just saw that it will be 41 in Morgan, VT tonight! Lots of bright, sunshiny days up there, good news!

I'm hoping to get up to Vermont once again this weekend. I found a great hike in the Chester Town Forest and would love to stop at the Vermont Country Store in Rockingham and a lunch at Country Girl Diner in town if time allows. They have great food and their breakfasts are divine!

I am ready to welcome Autumn 2022, how about you???? 8)

https://myhikes.org/trails/butternut-hill-trail

https://www.countrygirldiner.com/about-us
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

loafer89

Re: First Day of Meteorological Fall Ushers in Cool, Crisp and Breezy Autumn Air to the Northeast! 9/1/22

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:56 pm

Hopefully we get some rain. The drought is getting pretty bad . I visited my sister last week in Northeast Pennsylvania, foliage color change and leaf loss due to drought. Never saw that in August. Vermont will still have good color change I'm sure.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: First Day of Meteorological Fall Ushers in Cool, Crisp and Breezy Autumn Air to the Northeast! 9/1/22

Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:43 pm

Hi Kevin (it's Kevin right?). Nice to see you back here on the forum. I think we are getting a lot of rain on Labor Day and maybe into Tuesday, we really need it. I am confident Mother Nature will see us through here in southern NE but I think Vermont will be the shining foliage star this year because they got quite a bit of storms with good rainfall this summer. As did northern NH.

I will be out and about in late September in our area so keep us in the loop for your findings in northern CT. You always have such good information on the color changes. As I drive around, I see some stressed trees but actually, the majority look healthy so far. It's really a waiting game, too soon to tell and I don't always believe the naysayers! :) Glass half full!

As much of my time is spent in the NW Hills of CT I will be on high alert in the coming weeks! And today was a stunner! :D

CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:15 pm

We seem to be getting ramped up with storms and rain as of late. The trees are looking fine despite the earlier drought. We are now in abnormally dry instead of severe or moderate drought.

The temps are taking a dive here Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning in northern CT. 40s and some 30s, so if it is this cool here just think what northern VT will be experiencing. Plus we are in for an abundance of bright, sunshiny days in a long stretch ahead until Tuesday when we may have more rain. Again, I am optimistic for a great foliage season up north and even in the NW corner of CT.

In about 10 days or so, a better idea of what will transpire in my opinion!

Think positive! :wink: