And So it Begins - Swamp Maples

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

edmcguirk

And So it Begins - Swamp Maples

Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:28 am

As ctyanky said in her prior post, with all the rain we have had in New England this summer, it should be a banner year for early color from Swamp Maples. So inspired by her post, this week I got out for a couple days to go searching for swamp maples in eastern Massachusetts.

And here are my first autumn 2021 images taken this week in Lincoln, Ma. Peak foliage color is great, but a little early season color can go a long way as an appetizer while we wait for the real show. For those of you checking in from outside New England, this early swamp maple color is normal in wetlands, and not indicative of any timing of the full show. Having a little fog didn't hurt either, adding some mood. Click on the pictures to see them displayed larger.
Attachments
Swamp Maple (4 of 4).jpg
Swamp Maple (2 of 4).jpg
Swamp Maple (1 of 4).jpg

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: And So it Begins - Swamp Maples

Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:45 am

These are great! I'm psyched! :D I can't wait to get up to VT this weekend to the Chester Fair (even tho it will be green, I'm sure we will see some color change along 91 especially at the higher elevations and around the Connecticut River near Deefield. Thanks for posting your swamp maples, it sure gets the adrenaline going!🍁

admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:19 am

Early color seen yesterday on the Newport bike path, near the Canadian border
_DSC3648.jpeg

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:06 pm

I think this is the year for Swamp Maples! They are bursting in color here in northern CT due to the deluge of rains we have had this summer. Incredible reds. Not sure this is related to the upcoming foliage season for red maples but one can only hope! We are moving ahead about a week early in color in northern CT but the heat coming next week unfortunately, may put a brake on it. We'll soon see. The nights are really cool and we are having stretches of sunshiny days, but WARM!!!! Fingers crossed!