Two of My Favorite VT Foliage Festivals on Tap For This Autumn!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Two of My Favorite VT Foliage Festivals on Tap For This Autumn!

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi Pats, sorry for the late response. Just got back from Vermont, one of many day trips in September. Hiking and festivals galore!

I've eaten at both of the places you mentioned. Actually, Mad Taco is my go to place and I usually eat there a couple of times when I stay in Waitsfield/Warren. Just a thought - if you want an excellent sandwich to go, try the deli at Mehurons Market at the plaza on 100 near the light across from the post office/gas station. Their deli is great and they have to go offerings. Plus anything else you might need foodie wise. The folks who work there are super nice too. If the restaurants are closed or too crowded, don't feel like you have no other options. Mehurons is a great place! The Warren Store also has a great lunch menu. I think I even snagged a Heady Topper pack there..... The best maple creemee can be found at Canteen Creemee just up the road a piece.

https://www.mehurons.com/

https://www.canteencreemee.com/

Do you have some back roads that you need to meander on? Warren Falls is also a nice stop. So much to do and see in that area. Ask away!

Pats fan

Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:28 pm

Perfect weather for hiking and festivals today. I'm sure you had a great time. I have been to mehurons market before but didn't go to the deli, thanks for the tip.

I have done bragg hill rd and common rd before, which were awesome. I have not done the blueberry lake area. Are there some nice back roads around there? I believe it is in Warren. I have done warren falls before in the summer but not fall. I would imagine its pretty nice in the fall. I can't remember what the walk was like. My 6 daughter will be with us. Is it an easy walk to the falls?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:39 am

Hi Pats, there are some great back roads near Blueberry Lake. When you are traveling south on 100 take a left up Plunkton Road. It will take you to Blueberry Lake. The drive to the lake often has gorgeous foliage. Go to the north entrance of the lake for the best shot of the foliage (afternoon shot). Continue on Plunkton to Fuller Hill Road (excellent long views) and Fuller Hill takes you to down to Warren village and right to the Warren Store for lunch! Also, another great road is Brook Road out of Warren to the Roxbury Mountain Road. Extraordinary views at the summit of Roxbury Gap! You can also take this road to the Warren Mountain Road and back to the village. Hope you can check out some of these backroads!

I hesitate to advise on the falls with a young child. Make your own judgments once you get there, the rocks can be slippery. But it is a favorite of all the falls up there.

Hope you can report back when you get home from the trip! I would love to hear what you thought of all the recommendations. CT

Pats fan

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:58 pm

Thank you for all your great advice!. I will be sure to report how things went after our trip.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:01 am

Glad to be of help! Looking forward to your findings and report. Enjoy!!! :D

Pats fan

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:52 pm

Hello CT,

We were in Vermont from 10/01 to 10/04. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate for the tram ride, lots of clouds and rain. We still had a great time though. I finally got to see lake willoughby and the southern end of the lake was a pretty spectacular sight. Some of the back roads around burke were beautiful. Darling hill rd and burke hollow rd especially. Also, got to peacham for the first time. Amazing views there. Love the view of the church and barn with the mountains in the background.

We did get to attend the autumn on the green festival and it was really well done with lots of vendors and food probably my favorite festival in Vermont so far.

The best color we saw was on some back roads near sweet seasons farm in st johnsbury and rt 2 on our way from danville to waitsfield. Some wow moments for sure with the scenery and the colors. We didn't get to blueberry lake, hopefully next year. Mad taco was as good as I remember and the breakfast is great at the white horse inn where we stayed in Waitsfield.

Thanks for all your help. Already thinking about next year.

Joe

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:53 am

Hi Joe! Glad your trip was so nice! I agree, Autumn on the Green is so well organized and the local vibe can't be beat. I loved the craft and food vendors and the music at the bandstand. Next year is your year for lift rides, maybe do a couple? Peacham has always been a favorite of mine and next year will stay again in town for a week. I took a hayride up into the fields a couple of years ago and agree, the views from there, as well as the one from the graveyard (did you get there?) were picture perfect.

For some reason, I thought you said you were staying at the West Hill Inn in Warren. That is where I stayed. I've never been at the White Horse Inn but heard nice things about that place.

Glad you got to Mad Taco again!!! Did they have the smoker going outsie?

Thanks again for getting back to the forum on your trip! CT