First hand report - from a tourist

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

jackla4

First hand report - from a tourist

Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:13 pm

We have been in the St. Johnsbury area for three days (staying at the Fairbanks Inn). First, the Fairbanks Inn is absolutely GREAT! We are very pleased with the facility.

Second, the entire area is bursting with colors. We have driven north to Lake Willowby and are amazed at the colors. The color is everywhere you look and we read in the paper it is at or very near peak....so impressive. Additionally the routes thru the White Mountains (Littleton, Bethlehem, Bartlett) is very colorful. Hwy 16 north from Bartlett to Gorham did not have as much color as Hwy 302 to Bartlett, but it was still good. North of St. Johnsbury is great. Tomorrow we head south to New Hampshire and the Kancamagus Highway thru Maine to the coast. We have enjoyed seeing the colors in Vermont and New Hampshire. We spent the first two days of this week in White River Junction and was worried we were way to early to see the color (not as vivid as the northern areas). We say THANK YOU to the states and thank you to the people who live here. You have a gorgeous state and very friendly people. Thanks for a great time, and the beautiful state, colors, and to those who moderate this forum. Thank you sooooo much for you help, your reports, and your suggested routes. You did not steer me wrong on any route. :D
Louisiana Jack

pwt54

Re: First hand report - from a tourist

Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:28 pm

Great report for a firstimer from Baton Rouge, by the jeezum! I couldn't have done better. :D

elihabsfan

Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:44 am

Jack - Great to hear of your trip. I'm a native of St. Johnsbury, Vt and love the area... my family is still there.. and we're going up (my wife and children and I) a week from today - which is a little late for peak foliage, but we can tour southward if need be. I'm glad you had a great stay in St. Johnsbury. Enjoy the rest of your trip and come back north again!!

pwt54

Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:50 am

The Peacham, Barnet, Groton area ought to be popping about then.

elihabsfan

Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:57 am

Hi - I hope things are still popping October 7-10 in and around St. Johnsbury. I know from reading the forum I'll be on the later edge of excellent color in the Northeast Kingdom...but heading into the higher terrain and to the south toward White River Junction, Hanover, NH... and across toward Barre and Montpelier I'm sure we'll still see some decent sights. Anytime in Vermont is just great, color or not! Love the state, the mountains, the trees and scenery... the people and the history.