We're Turning the Corner Towards Fall 2020. I'm ready.

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

We're Turning the Corner Towards Fall 2020. I'm ready.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:55 pm

Greetings Fall Foliage Fanatics and SOVTers!

In 6 ½ weeks the Autumnal Equinox arrives - September 22nd. I'm so looking forward to fall this year. It's been a chaotic and difficult few months since the pandemic began, hasn't it? On top of that, Connecticut just got creamed with Tropical Storm Isaias that left more than 720K Connecticut homes and businesses in the dark. Fortunately for me this time, I did not lose power. For that I am forever grateful and thank the weather Gods for bypassing my “block”. (The thought of going through the crazy October 2011 snow storm scenario again that left me in the dark for 12 days with no heat, hot water or electricity was an over the top, insane experience I will never forget). I feel for all the New Englanders still without power from Isaias with a six day heat wave beginning tomorrow! :cry:

Alas, I am hopeful fall will bring some positivity back into our lives. Just thinking of cool nights (which has already begun) and bright sunshiny days in the 70's has my heart skipping a beat! I'm looking forward to hearing the geese honking over head, that intoxicating aroma of the earth in the early mornings and late evenings, pumpkins and gourds and cornstalks and mums, sweatshirts and jeans and my LLB boots. And those leaves, those glorious colorful leaves! :shock: I just love that first, real fall morning where I can open my windows and breathe in Mother Nature's first introduction to autumn. That smell of the earth is something we can all relate to! Sometimes lately, I already feel the change in the air, when I am outside at 5 a.m. taking my dog for a walk. It really brings a smile to my face!

I was up hiking today in the NW corner of CT today, and the usual signs of some of the trees beginning to lose their chlorophyll are noticeable. It happens every year about this time. An occasional branch teasing me with a slight reddish hint of color. And some burning bushes starting to turn. My tree guy admitted, yes, it's coming!!!! Just meandering down the dirt roads up there though, was making me pine for autumn in Vermont.

Yes, it has been a tough spring and summer, fairs and festivals and summer trips cancelled and major holidays taking on a different tone. Not to mention all the remote learning for the students and loss of jobs for so many.

Let's keep a positive attitude. It will pass. I hope all of you remain safe and healthy and we get back to a place where we can feel “normal” again in some way, shape or form.

Until then, I keep hiking away and tuck myself onto the forest trails where I find peace and tranquility. Then, I wait for the best season of all, now just around the corner. When it gets here, we'll be happy, won't we? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hugs to all, CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: We're Turning the Corner Towards Fall 2020. I'm ready.

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Low 50's nighttime temps in the NEK for the next 2 weeks. I'm already keeping the windows open at night! Moving right along! :D :D :D

triz

Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Hi CT

I want to wish you and everyone else a great fall, which we all need.
For the second year in a row I will miss my New England fall trip. Last year because my first daughter was born, this year for the pandemic.

But I look forward to make up for it next year, with the entire family!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:48 am

Hi Triz! Thanks for popping in here. I hope your fall in Philly (?) is just beautiful so you can still enjoy the season. It was 55 here this morning and the last couple of days have been sparkling. It's been so hot this summer and we have had 38 days of 90's in northern CT. I'm so ready for the transition. We have many trees starting to change at the very tops of the canopies, especially on the higher elevations. 8)

I'm hopeful you will be in Vermont next year with your entire family and perhaps we can meet somewhere this time. I will miss your enthusiastic posts and photos and descriptions of your travels.

Stay well and see you next year! Again, congrats on the birth of your daughter! :D CT

Colorado Mom

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:42 pm

I'm ready too CT!! It has been very hot in Colorado and I am so ready for cooler weather. I have started burning my fall candles already...
hoping that will hurry things along, I guess lol
Visiting Scenes of Vermont gives me my fix as well. We won't be coming to Vermont this year but I will be living it through everyone on here and I know I won't be disappointed!! I love hearing about everyone's favorite places to hike, shop, eat etc. I can't wait!!

triz

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:33 am

ctyanky wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:48 am
Hi Triz! Thanks for popping in here. I hope your fall in Philly (?) is just beautiful so you can still enjoy the season. It was 55 here this morning and the last couple of days have been sparkling. It's been so hot this summer and we have had 38 days of 90's in northern CT. I'm so ready for the transition. We have many trees starting to change at the very tops of the canopies, especially on the higher elevations. 8)

I'm hopeful you will be in Vermont next year with your entire family and perhaps we can meet somewhere this time. I will miss your enthusiastic posts and photos and descriptions of your travels.

Stay well and see you next year! Again, congrats on the birth of your daughter! :D CT
Hi CT, thanks!
Fall in Philly is pretty too, although it cannot compare with New England :)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:26 am

Hi Triz, see you next year! May your family stay well and I hope you enjoy whatever color you may find in your area. CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:35 am

Hi Colorado! Enjoy the foliage in your own state and next year we should try to get together somewhere. I'm sorry I missed you last year at Hill Farmstead Brewery but let's plan on meeting there in 2021! I kept looking for your plaid fall coat! :lol: The nights are really cooling off here now and splashes of color are appearing everywhere in our higher elevation in northern CT. It's so exciting! :D Yes, it's been quite the hot summer. I'm ready to pull out the ACs for good, but you never know. September typically has some hot spells and long heat waves. :x CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:14 am

Hello fall foliage fanatics! All my mums and fall decorations are now displayed! :D It has been consistently chilly at night here. I don't remember it being this cool so early in September at least for the last five years. I was hiking in beautiful Kent CT yesterday and could have used gloves in the early morning! There were many "sparklers" throughout the back roads and what is appearing is crimsons and bright oranges; probably very drought related. We could use more rain in New England. With several 40s at night this coming week, and 30's in northern VT, we could see an dramatic push on the colors for sure. What I have seen so far, is very little damage to the trees due to insect infestation. All appears very healthy and the canopies are full and lush. I've been through many forests across the northern parts of CT hiking for weeks now and I have not seen any significant leaf damage. This is true for VT from what I have been reading from foresters' comments on various web sites. Could be quite a lovely season! 8)