Becoming One With the Forests, Woodlands and Mother Nature During This Trying Season of Our Lives: My Impressions

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Becoming One With the Forests, Woodlands and Mother Nature During This Trying Season of Our Lives: My Impressions

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:18 pm

First off, a shout out to all of our SOV Foliage Fanatics. I pray that you and your family are well, safe, hopeful and strong.

Over the past month, I have banished myself into the woods by hiking two, sometimes three times a week in the more remote, secluded areas of the NW and NE corner of Connecticut. No one on the trails for hours on end. I have found these days truly restorative. A fleeting escape from the challenges we are all facing from this medical crisis.

During my hikes, all my senses have become more refined and alert. Yesterday, we were in the NW corner of my home state (CT) on a remote land trust. I came home feeling like my entire being was restored, my soul rejuvenated. Some of the moments where I felt truly immersed in Mother Nature's hands yesterday are highlighted below. I hope you can at some point, find the time to venture into the forests away from the crowds, and experience some of the things I now share with you. Some have coined it “forest bathing”. Whatever you call it, it is the best therapy anyone can ask for during these uncertain days of our lives! I call it becoming one with Mother Nature!🥾

"Come to the woods, for here is rest." John Muir

☀☀☀☀☀☀

🌲Listening to the babbling brooks while hopping from stone to stone

🌲The sound of the wind rustling through the pines

🌲The mint colored greening of the forest floor

🌲The sight of maples pushing red buds

🌲The sounds of waterfalls and the rushing Housatonic River

🌲The sound of crunchy fallen leaves on the trail

🌲The feel of the bark of different kinds of trees

🌲A Peregrine Falcon squealing over head circling the bald eagle

🌲The sight of a bald eagle perched on the highest tree ready to fly over the Housatonic! Six foot wing span, totally blew me away! A magic moment indeed!🦅🦅🦅

🌲Views, vistas and overlooks of the surrounding valleys with the Housatonic River rushing below

🌲The smell of the earth and the coming spring everywhere you turn around

🌲Looking up into the forest canopies to blue bird skies and white puffy clounds

🌲Feeling the green moss on the rocks as we climbed up steep inclines to the overlooks

🌲A huge tree crashing to the forest floor, breaking the silence of the hike!
A blessing of a day. May you all stay strong and healthy. God Bless Everyone.

This too shall pass. CT/treehugger :mrgreen: 🥾🥾🥾
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Colorado Mom

Re: Becoming One With the Forests, Woodlands and Mother Nature During This Trying Season of Our Lives: My Impressions

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:51 pm

That's is beautiful CT. I can close my eyes and imagine it.
I often wonder if these trying times might be Gods way of making us STOP our normal lives and think about how we are living each day. People have been forced to slow down a bit and hopefully appreciate the little things in life.
Glad you are able to get out and enjoy the fresh air and beauty of Connecticut!
Stay safe!
Colorado Mom

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Becoming One With the Forests, Woodlands and Mother Nature During This Trying Season of Our Lives: My Impressions

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:10 am

Hi Colorado Mom! Thanks for popping in here!

I agree with you on slowing down in our lives in order to appreciate the simple and ordinary that we often take for granted. Yet in the alternative, I continue to ramp up my hikes into the forests to soak in the beauty around me in northern CT. I went on another very remote hike yesterday up Prospect Mountain in the Litchfield Hills. Aside from the distraction of being careful not to attract ticks, the bears are out now, and I'm extra mindful of coming across them on the trails. A bear was just seen in a den cave on one of my recent hikes. With just the two of us way out in the middle of nowhere, it was pretty eerie at times. I kept looking around me and thought I heard or saw a bear around every corner. One time I was pretty sure I saw one, but it turned out to be a large, black stump!🐻🐻🐻 I consider myself pretty "bear aware" but not sure what I would really feel like if it actually happened to me!!! :shock:

On this hike we saw many wildlife tracks near a stream where they came to drink. It was really interesting! After pushing/challenging myself to reach the north summit, I was in awe of the views at the top, of the valleys and surrounding hills. Just to hear the birds chirping and the wind in the trees, was serene. At the summit, a few hawks were resting on the thermals, creating quite a peaceful scene as we sat on the rock outcropping.

There is nowhere I would rather be, at any time actually, than deep in our woodlands surrounded by the natural world. 🏞 Sometimes, I feel like the trees are speaking to me, reaching out with their limbs to comfort me. If you are an avid hiker or outdoor enthusiast, perhaps you can relate! :wink:

CT 🐻

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:56 am

Happy Earth Day everyone! Today is the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. :D It is a special day despite the current "climate"; it gives us a fleeting moment of promise that all will be well.🌻

I hope you can at some point get out today and appreciate Mother Earth. Maybe a hike, clearing out rubbish along a river or pathway, or just thinking of ways to celebrate when we get back to our "normal" lives. Maybe even a lesson for the distant learners!

I am off to the NW corner on the NY border to try another land trust hike and can't wait to breathe in all the goodness of our lovely forests. May you all stay healthy and safe. CT

🌱🌎🌳

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:49 am

Hello fall foliage fanatics! Hope this post finds you in continued health. And now another season has begun with autumn just a few short months away! This cool spring has got me energized and excited for my favorite season of all!

With 31 hikes under my belt now, I've ramped up the forest treks to twice a week into the northwest corner of CT as well as surrounding areas in northern CT. I'm seriously trying my best to get in shape for Vermont hiking when the state opens its arms to full out-of-state tourism minus the quarantine. I have a list of Vermont hikes that I've been hoping to start a bucket list with. My goal is to get them posted here on SOV before fall. I certainly welcome any Vermont hikes that you would recommend that are in the moderate to moderately challenging categories.

For my birthday I received the book entitled, “AMC's Best Day Hikes in Vermont”. There are quite a few I have done already, but so many more to seek out and enjoy!!!! When I was at the Green Mountain Club's headquarters, I picked up the book, “The Walkers Guide to Vermont, Rambles for Half an Hour or Half a Day”. I highly recommend both books. I can see why hiking is so addictive because being out in nature is the ultimate way to boost body and soul. Not to mention, staying in great physical condition. :wink:

When I get to a new trailhead, a feeling of excitement embraces me. Maybe a similar feeling that skiers get when they get to the top of a mountain before they descend. It is truly energizing! Since the gyms have been closed, hiking has been my lifesaver. So far no bears, a few snakes and the ticks are out in force. We've had a couple of bears in the neighborhood so I am on high alert in the forests now. Sometimes I think I see or hear a bear and it can be quite unnerving! Most of the times, it is a large stump or a random animal rustling through the understory!

If anyone is interested in any CT hikes (most in extreme NW CT) I have quite a few favorites. One hike was so difficult and strenuous, I didn't think I would make it back, lots of complaining that was not welcomed by my hiking partner. :mrgreen: (I need to keep a better eye on the details of hikes in the future, including steep inclines and endless rocky terrain!)

Happy Hiking to all! Hopefully, Vermont will open up her arms in a few months, and those of us who live elsewhere, can enjoy her beautiful forests and woodlands once again. :D :D :D

CT