Southern Vermont Highlands Report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

edmcguirk

Southern Vermont Highlands Report

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:50 pm

On 10/3/19 I drove over Rt. 9 West from Brattleboro to as far as Rt. 71 near the Searsburg reservoir. Brattleboro along the river is still mostly green of course. The Hogback overlook was 90% of peak, including the foreground trees, as well as the long view. With a frost on Friday night, I'd say Hogback will be peak by Saturday, go this weekend for peak color. The color along Rt 9 west of Hogback as far as the turn to Rt. 71 was the same, about 90% of peak, pretty much the whole way.

The water levels in the river along Rt. 9 was very low due to lack of rain, as was the water in the Harriman reservoir, it had lots of exposed shoreline.
But the water levels in in both the Searsburg and Somerset Reservoirs was very good, and the foliage in these two locations was at full peak. There was a lot of interesting fog dancing on the water at the Somerset reservoir this morning. I then drove Kelley Stand road both west and east from Rt. 71. Color along Kelley Stand was absolute peak, go soon to catch the color here. I then went to Grout Pond, color there was full peak as well. I drove back to Brattleboro via Stratton, Newfane and Townshend. Stratton was peak color, and Townshend / Newfane were 70% turned. The lake at Townshend dam was nearly empty. My final stop was at Jelly Mill Falls on Stickney Brook Road outside Brattleboro. The water level there was almost non-existant, but I photographed a couple nice small cascades that were in the trickle of water.

Click on photos to view larger
Attachments
Jelly Mill Falls.jpg
Jelly Mill Falls
Kelley Stand Road Stream.jpg
Kelley Stand Road Stream
Fog on Somerset Reservoir.jpg
Somerset Reservoir in Fog

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Southern Vermont Highlands Report

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Oh Ed, this is an excellent report!!!! Sounds like you hit it just right for all your stops. I'm so happy you made it to Vermont this season, I didn't feel that even my own trip would be complete unless you were in Vermont doing what makes you the happiest, your photography. :) The photos are great! I loved Kelly Stand Road and Grout Pond. I hope someday you can hike around the Pond, Charles and I spent an afternoon on the entire loop. Gorgeous! Your day sounded so gratifing. Kudos to you! CT

triz

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Wow, last year on October 14 Newfane and Townshend were completely green.
And this year on October 3rd they are 70% turned. Clearly I have bad luck! :roll:
Last edited by triz on Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

edmcguirk

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:41 am

Triz, I would say Newfane / Townshend are 60% to 70% turned, but it varies by elevation. Some places there are still fully green, but some section shave turned. Stratton which is not that far away, but at higher elevation is near peak right now.

The foliage is definitely 7 to 10 days ahead of last year, no question.Kelley Stand Road is full peak, and may be past peak this week.

Utah Baker

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:44 pm

Ed, I’m not from the “show me” state, but I’m sure glad your sharing some of your captures. Absolutely love the last one in the mist.