NEK today, day 2: Ponds galore, Burke Fall Festival, route 114 on fire

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

NEK today, day 2: Ponds galore, Burke Fall Festival, route 114 on fire

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:21 pm

What a day today! Weather held off until late afternoon with spotty drizzle and a few showers. We started our day at Pensioner Pond and took the Hudson Road! Wow, there is some very fine peak colors on this road. Just loved it! These crazy gals are crazier than I've ever driven with and know the back roads of the NEK just like Phil! But more daring! So glad I was in the back seat! :shock: We drove up an ATV trail for the fun of it and it was quite scary for me. Glad for our Subie!

Burke Fall Foliage Festival was A M A Z I N G! The weather was perfect, blue skies and white puffy clouds and breezes. Hit most of the tents and I got a back poster (I collect them) of their fall festival which I frame. I have two previous years and got this one from 2015. It is gorgeous! Then we headed up 114. The mountains are on fire with reds and oranges and golds. Just unbelievable! Jobs Pond was beautiful and then we headed to Center Pond. That was smaller and we were able to walk along the water to the left for more shots. Color excellent! Then headed up to Island Pond, just beautiful. All around us the mountains were peaked out and this weekend is stellar for foliage up here, and possibly two or three more days. Tomorrow is a stunner of sunshine and cool temps tonight and the rest of the area not in peak should be! I mean, Tim was right. The whole NEK is prime meat right now! I think this season so far rivals 2016! It's just everywhere you turn. Mind boggling color. My favorite so far as always, route 114. We were around the Welock preservation area, just as awesome. We turned down Top of the Pond road near Island Pond but may have missed the cutoff to the pond, oh well!

We were so busy, 8 hours today, we didn't have time to go to the Lavender Farm in Derby. Will save that on my bucket list for another year.

Tomorrow, I head down the Hudson Road to 105 to 114 to DnD Stables for my riding and I am over the top excited! I have waited so long to ride here and this is one of the reasons I am in the NEK for the long weekend before I head to Peacham. It's going to be a cool day in the 50s, sunshine and Burke Mountain in peak. Our trail ride should take us around there with views of the mountains in full color and I can't wait to canter thru fields and pastures. My dream come true!!! :D :D :D

Another day in paradise with adventures galore and more to come! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Colorado Mom

Re: NEK today, day 2: Ponds galore, Burke Fall Festival, route 114 on fire

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:02 pm

Glad you are having a fantastic time CT! Sounds like you are seeing some great colors!! Might be changing my schedule a bit according to the weather and where peak will be. Each day things change so we will see by the time I get there!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:22 am

Hi Colorado, yes things are changing rapidly! Cooler temps last night and a bright, sunshiny day today will trigger greater changes!

Yes, I am starting day 3 and having such a grand time. A cow was outside my window at 5:30 this morning bellowing and woke me up! :lol: I don't think I was dreaming but either way, this is Vermont! :mrgreen:

A sugar maple outside my bedroom window in peak and a rope swing hanging below. Cows in the fields. What more can you ask for? I'm taking a nice walk down the dirt road here and then will head to the stables. Can't wait to wear my new helmet and riding stuff!

When do you get here?????

Colorado Mom

Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:16 am

We fly in on Tuesday!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:21 am

Have a safe flight! I can feel your excitement shining through! Head up here! :D