Foliage Report! 9/22 Reds, Orange, Gold, Purple and Yellow! Route 9 Highlands SW VT 40-50% changed! Some peak spots!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Foliage Report! 9/22 Reds, Orange, Gold, Purple and Yellow! Route 9 Highlands SW VT 40-50% changed! Some peak spots!

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Whoa! Ok, so today we decided to forego VT hiking and VT foliage festivals to check out the color along the Route 9 Highlands in Woodford. My dear friend Charles (ixl) from this forum always told me, "if you want to see early color go to the highlands as it often is similar to what may appearing in the NEK area". And boy was he right! Charles lives in North Benn and has always driven the highlands first for a report! I just had a feeling today was the day to look at route 9 highlands!

After a long day driving up route 8/7 into Pownal (more on that in another post - the views into Williamstown are insane ) we drove from Bennington on route 9 east to Woodford. Woodford's town center lies at an elevation of 2,215 feet (675 m) above sea level, the highest of any town in the state of Vermont. As we ascended in elevation folks, clusters of reds, oranges, purple, gold and some peach colors were prominent on the hillsides on either side (north or south) of route 9. In bands no less! Brilliant! Not dull at all and the swamp maples did not disappoint! Bright as can be! I can safely say that it was at least 40% to 50% changed to 60% in many areas with some patchy spots in peak. I got so excited, I ate 3 cider donuts in rapid succession! :shock: We just couldn't believe how fast things were moving, but remember, the elevation was quite high. So if you are on route 9 in Woodford, near Woodford State Park, Prospect Mountain (George Aiken Wilderness) and the vicinity of the old, closed Woodford General Store you will see high color! Especially on the north side at Big Pond where there seemed to be a lot of summer cottages. Searsburg was almost as strong but as we started our descent into the valley and Wilmington, the brilliance of the colors faded and dispursed and we entered early fall color but that was coming on strong as well. If the colors we saw today were any indication of what our 2019 foliage season will present, we are in for glory. :D

Emerging colors in the high elevations were strong and vivid. If you want a taste of early peak/peak I think in the next week into the weekend the highlands of route 9 are a great start!!! Be sure to start from Benn town center going east. It just gets better and better!

What a glorious day in southern Vermont! And a blessed look at what we might expect and a prelude to my trip in a few days! 8)
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Colorado Mom

Re: Foliage Report! 9/22 Reds, Orange, Gold, Purple and Yellow! Route 9 Highlands SW VT 40-50% changed! Some peak spots

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 pm

Just hearing that gets me so excited :D Sounds like we are in for a great show! So glad you got to go up early and get a preview....thanks for sharing!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Foliage Report! 9/22 Reds, Orange, Gold, Purple and Yellow! Route 9 Highlands SW VT 40-50% changed! Some peak spots

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:17 am

Thanks Colorado! It was a glorious weekend in VT! I'm glad we decided to skip the hike and fall festival because chasing the colors was so much fun (except for the class 4 road adventure!). :lol:

The views at Hogback Mountain on the route 9 overlook were unreal! It was packed and the brewery was filled with folks enjoying themselves and looking at the long views from the upper deck. Must have been about 30 motorcycles lined up and it was so cool! Route 9 is really a great ride and southern VT is often overlooked for beauty during the season. I'm glad to be so close as it has become my go to place and I'm pretty familiar now with the back roads there. Somerset Reservoir is so scenic!

I hope to meet up with you at some point during the trip! :D

Utah Baker

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:22 am

The photos I’ve been seeing on FB are amazing. Looks like the color has come on fast, even some saying almost over night. Saw an amazing photo taken just the other day of the Owl’s Head look out. Wow! Get out there and enjoy, Hope the temps cool back.

Colorado Mom

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:36 pm

I would love that CT, just PM me sometime. We will be in Peachum, Woodstock, Stowe, Route 100....lots of places so I'm sure we can make that happen! We are a week out now and counting down the days.... :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Colorado Mom: I just saw your response to meet up. Are you going to be in Stowe at all on the weekend of October 5 or 6? I'm going to the Dog Mountain Foliage Festival on Saturday in St. Johnsbury to meet Tim our board owner. It might be fun for you and your family! Sunday I am riding in Jeffersonville in the morning and could meet you in Stowe somewhere on the 6th. Keeping options open! On the Peacham fall festival day I am not sure when my friend and I are hiking Spruce Mountain or Nichols Ledge in the a.m. or p.m. It's all weather dependent. Keep me apprised of your travel routes! My PM may not be available btw..... CT

Colorado Mom

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:24 am

We don't arrive in Stowe until the evening of the 7th. Looks like we are going to have a rainy day for the Peacham festival, of course that can change in a week. We will keep in touch CT!