Challenging Roads

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Challenging Roads

Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:13 pm

These roads are for those folks who don’t mind dirt roads and a challenge. These roads are all of route 100 between Waitsfield and Rochester. The most challenging is the Lincoln Gap Road. It is mostly paved with 2 dirt sections. The drive over the top is twisty, steep and narrow. Your brakes will get a workout!! It starts as the Lincoln Gap Road off route 100 in Warren. It starts as the Lincoln Road of route 116 in Bristol. The least challenging is the Bethel Mountain Road. It is paved all the way. It has some good views at the top. You can pick it up in Rochester at the north end of the village green. It ends on route 12 Bethel. I’ve already mentioned Texas Falls before. It’s off route 125 in Hancock. This is also an easy road to do. The next road is the Roxbury Mountain Road / Warren Mountain Road. You can pick that up by taking the Brook Road until you come to a 4 way intersection. The Roxbury Mountain Road on the right. Great view of the Mad River Valley. It ends on route 12A in Roxbury. Its starts as the Warren Road on route 12A in Roxbury. The next one is National Forest Road 55. It’s called the West Hill Road in Granville. The road is off route 100 behind the Blue Moose Bend craft center in Granville. This road is narrow, wedged between a hill and the stream. Drive it to the first intersection and bear left and drive through the gate. Just before you come to the second gate there is a road on the right. This is an interesting road but it doesn’t have many long views. Drive it if you wish. Going through the second gate drive until you see an old field on your right. There is a small drive going up to the field. It can be done by a car, but if you aren’t sure, find a place to park and walk the drive. It’s only a couple hundred feet to the view. To the northeast you have a long mountain view. To the south you are looking straight into the mountain. Look half way up that mountain for an area of different colored trees. That’s where you are going next. Walk back to you car. When you get to that little right curve on the way back, look to your left. The house and barn use to be there. Driving on you will go around a sharp left curve, past some camps and around another sharp left curve. Driving on you will see another open field on your right. That’s right, it’s another farm. There were quite a few farms up here. Soon you will come to 2 areas that have been lumbered a few years ago. Some great views up there! After these 2 areas you will come an area with planted pines. Look to your left and see if you can find a line of rocks that don’t look natural. Park and check it out. It is a foundation. Great stone work. You will come to the end soon. Turn around and go back to Granville. Whew, this is pretty log winded. I do the Bingo Road in another post tonight.

ixl

Re: Challenging Roads

Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:39 pm

Oooooo, awesome! Thanks pwt, now to find all those roads on my atlas! --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ixl

Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:37 pm

Just a tiny bit lost on this part, pwt...

That’s where you are going next. Walk back to you car. When you get to that little right curve on the way back, look to your left. The house and barn use to be there. Driving on you will go around a sharp left curve, past some camps and around another sharp left curve. Driving on you will see another open field on your right. That’s right, it’s another farm. There were quite a few farms up here. Soon you will come to 2 areas that have been lumbered a few years ago. Some great views up there! After these 2 areas you will come an area with planted pines. Look to your left and see if you can find a line of rocks that don’t look natural. Park and check it out. It is a foundation. Great stone work. You will come to the end soon. Turn around and go back to Granville.

Is this all still on 55 / West Road? Or do you go back to 100 and then to another road?

Thanks! --c

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:43 pm

This little road is on NFH 55 on the right side. YOU can drive it with a car, but some one from the city might not be easy with. You drive up this road (I think it's it's either NFH 204 or 208) and then around a sharp left curve. The old farmhouse foundation is on the right at that curve. Then you come to 2 fields. Park there and look around. Then turn around and come back to NFH 55 and turn left and finish the ride. All the other stuff is ahead. I hope this helps.

ixl

Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:55 pm

Okay I see it.. you are referring to the little side roads off 55 that go up to Deer Hollow Brook. I'll check 'em out! Thanks... --c

Bellavance

Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:42 pm

Speaking of challenging roads, how is route 108 - between Smugglers Notch Ski Area and Stowe - at this time of the year?

Pierre

pwt54

Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:44 pm

Good color and no snow yet! By the way, the Kelly Stand road IXL mentioned is a good one for you.

ixl

Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:57 pm

pwt... I can't thank you enough for this post.

I stayed in this area overnight and had one of the most amazing evenings/mornings of photography I've ever had. It was an awesome place I will remember to come back to. And the stream was also excellent.

If you know of ANY other forest roads like this one... I'd be super grateful for pointers! --c

Bellavance

Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:13 pm

I'd like to go next Friday, October 8. How will the colors be by then?

Thanks

Pierre

pwt54

Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:25 pm

Quite frankly, I can't think of another road quite like it. That road has a lot on it for such a short road. At one time the Texas Falls Road use to link up with NFH 55. There were 4 farms and a mill on that link. It was a long walk but my brother and I found them all. While I've got you here, pull up you atlas. Look over in Arlington and Sandgate and you'll see the 3 roads that I call the "you can't get there from here" roads.at the NY border. They are the Black Hole Hollow Road, The Murry Hollow Road, and the Perkins Hollow Road. I drove those roads about 12 years ago. I'm not sure in what shape the Black Hole Hollow Road is in but the other 2 should be passable by car. I had my jeep back then. Also in Victory, I took my Mother and Aunt over the Kirby Mountain Road last Monday. There is quite a view on the Kirby side of the road. It's easier to find it off the Victory Hill Road in Victory. A car can handle it easily. I gotta go, the Sox just tied the Orioles.

Hearts99

Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:43 pm

Is the Kelly Strand road the road that you are talking about that you really like? I am down by
that area and wondered if I should journey over there before turning into Manchester Center for the evening of the 5th.

pwt54

Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:55 pm

You should try it. Pick it up in East Arlington or as the Stratton / Arlington Road off route 100 in West Wardsboro.

ixl

Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:22 pm

Thanks once again pwt... got those roads marked down. --c

Bridgewater peeper

Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:32 pm

PWT, how for is the "Kirby MT. Road from Bridgewater"? I would like to go there next weekend.