Newbie in search of Vermont foliage view

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mmac

Newbie in search of Vermont foliage view

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 am

Hi Everyone,

I promised my wife to go see Fall foliage on the East coast for a long time but never was able to take time off work to do it.
Luckily :-) both of us was layoff last month and want to take time to fulfill this long time dream so we are off to Vermont in a month time to celebrate our 26th anniversary. :)

We are flying into Boston the morning of 10/3 and flying home the afternoon of 10/8.

Based on the forecast map only the upper right corner and a strip down the middle of the state have peak foliage so I am planning to drive straight up to the east corner on my first day then come down the state slowly the next few days in time to go home.
In my search I found your Foliage forum very informative and full of friendly and willing to share folks so joined in hoping to get some wonderful pointers to make this trip more memorable.

Thanks in advance for all your advice and pointers.

best,
minh

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Newbie in search of Vermont foliage view

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 am

Hi Minh! Welcome to the foliage forum! You picked a great time to visit Vermont and Happy Anniversary! You are certainly headed in the right direction, Northeast Kingdom (aka NEK). Sometimes those maps are based on historical averages and as of now, we can't fully predict where to find "peak" foliage, but generally speaking, you've chosen a fine set of days to tool about the state. A perfect time to be in the Green Mountains and you should be able to drive to many places to find your color!

Where are you lodged? I hope you have secured your places to stay along the route back to Boston or perhaps have one base to stay already picked out? If you don't have lodging, I would try to get on it asap!

Many folks will chime in here to give you expert advice from locals and frequent VT foliage travelers. If you have specific questions, things you enjoy (hiking, photography, shopping, dining, covered bridges, bicycling, etc.) it would be helpful to those responding.

Again, welcome!!! Ask away!!! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Newbie in search of Vermont foliage view

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:20 am

PS: In reviewing your intended travels, my best advice is to get off the main roads into the back roads! You will treasure the back road ventures the most, offering beauty and hidden gems! :wink: