Driving From NH--Please help! :)

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

gettinaway

Driving From NH--Please help! :)

Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:20 am

Hi, I am flying into Manchester, NH on October 7th and have loding in Killington on October 8th and 9th. Was wondering if there is a good route to take from Manchester, NH to Killington and maybe a good town to stop in for the night on the 7th somewhat along the way (although our favorite thing to do is drive around so out of the way is not really a problem).

I've got some great routes previously for driving around Killington from this board so I'm all set there--you guys are the best resource out there! Thanks!!

Can't wait to get there!

gettinaway

Re: Driving From NH--Please help! :)

Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:56 pm

Well, guys, I'm totally lost in planning the one night stop over in NH before coming into Killington and driving around Vermont for a couple days. Any thoughts on if the White Mountains area (someone recommended the Kancamagus Highway and staying in the White Mountains) will be done by the 7th of October? If so, any thoughts on where to stop over in NH for a scenic town on schedule or should we just drive straight through to killington or elsewhere in VT? I guess we could always drive through to Manchester, VT (which we love) and then up to Killington...

ixl

Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:30 pm

The White Mountains should be nice on October 7th, but that is quite a bit north of Manchester and not really on the way from Killington. There is also the problem of finding a place to stay due to the Fryeburg Fair, as pwt posted earlier today.

Manchester to Killington is only a couple of hours' drive. The simplest route is just to take I89 northwest, then route 4 west to Killington. If you want to go the long way you could take 101 west to Keene, then 12 north to Walpole, cross the river, then take 103 through Ludlow. Haven't done that one myself though. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

sharan

Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:52 pm

We were in the White Mountains two years ago on October 6th and 7th and I loved it there. Not quite as pretty as Vermont but really nice. The Kancamangus Highway is really pretty. We stayed in Lincoln--from Manchester I think it's about 80 miles. But as the others said, you might have trouble finding lodging. And then you still have a ways to go to Killington but I bet you would see some pretty foliage on the way. My other suggestion would be to stay at White River Junction or Queeche(both in Vermont.) Cause you don't want to miss Quechee Gorge and Woodstock! Have a great trip!

pwt54

Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:27 pm

This is a problem with us Vermonters. Why go to southern NH. when there is sooo much in northern NH. The White Mtns. area will have few or no rooms because of the Fryeburg Fair. I've done the 12/12A north from Keene and it's a nice ride. That would put you near White River Jct., Vt. Or and thsi may be a long shot, try the Laconia/Lake Winnipesaukee Area. It may be far enough from Fryeburg to find a room and I Like riding around the Sandwich / Ossipee Area. Log onto visitnh.net and check things out.

gettinaway

Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:07 am

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I'm gonna get searching and get to booking something soon. Thanks again!!

gettinaway

Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:09 pm

Has anyone stayed at the Mountain Club on Loon in Lincoln? They seem to have a lot of availability which worries me since it sounds like Lincoln should be crowded...

We are thinking of driving up from Manchester, driving down the Kancamagus Highway, staying the night in Lincoln. Then driving down 91 to 4 through Woodstock (is that right? is there a more scenic route?), and then staying the night in Killington and then driving around Killington (maybe north?) the next day, staying the night, then heading back to Manchester the next day.

What do you guys think?

pwt54

Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:26 pm

I've never been to that Place so I can't say for sure, but I doubt that any bad place would last long around there. The way things are aound there at that time I'd take it. I'll bet if you went there two weeks from now it would be packed. I'd go south from Killington. Do the Ludlow, Chester, Grafton, and route 30 from Townshend to Brattleboro. Then go north on route US 5 to route 9 east to Keene,NH and route 101 to Manchester.