Where To Go For the Best Vermont Brewery

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Where To Go For the Best Vermont Brewery

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:18 am

We are going to the Hill Farmstead Brewery when in the NEK but would like another recommendation for a second visit somewhere. Where would you go? We buy Heady Topper each time in Vermont in Waitsfield so that is a pretty amazing beer! I heard Hill Farmstead is a gorgeous spot to visit as well. Has anyone been there in the fall?

https://hillfarmstead.com/
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

abby

Re: Where To Go For the Best Vermont Brewery

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Hill Farmstead is such a hip happening place. I LOVE it there....been many times. It's been rated as the number one brewery in THE WORLD by ratemybeer.com. There's always so much activity there. On a good day, there's lots of people hanging out on the lawn, tossing frisbees and balls. There are a few food trucks that are usually parked there as well if you want to get a bite to eat. The bar is large, and you can taste test some of the different beers they offer. I don't like a heavy beer, and "Edward" is my favorite beer there. Seating is limited and it gets crazy crowded there. You will see license plates on cars there from all over. People travel far to come there.
On the drive in there is a gorgeous red barn you will pass. I photographed it from the top of the hill last Fall, but the sky was gray and blah. Going to try again this year. If you follow the road beyond the brewery it is very pretty in the Fall. If you take a left at the end you will eventually come across a couple of farms. If you turn right, you will drive up a big hill and if you stop at the top of the hill, there are some beautiful maple trees along the road that frame the road nicely with a distant cabin beyond. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe this is the road where we came across a very nice scene of a sugar house flanked with gorgeous maple trees. So much to explore in this area.
Carol

Colorado Mom

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:53 pm

OMG another place to stop!! I'm gonna have to add another day to this trip if we're not careful :D My daughter would love this place!!

bm

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:14 pm

Lawson's Finest Liquids in Waitsfield
Foam in Burlington
Fiddlehead in Shelburne
14th Star in St. Albans
Otter Creek in MIddlebury

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:29 pm

Carol: I printed out the post reply and can't wait. Do we need reservations at the brewery if we go late afternoon and then will eat from the food truck....

bm: will hit Lawson's Finest in Waitsfield and will buy my Heady Topper there in town or in Warren on their delivery date!

MrBumps

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:22 am

Hill Farmstead, without a doubt, brews some of the best beers I have ever tasted. It can get crazy busy there. I have been there at times when you will wait an hour, or longer for a beer. If you want to get a growler filled, they have a number system which works well, but again, be prepared to WAIT. I have found Thursday afternoons are generally the least busy, but in foliage season, all bets are off. They are only open Weds through Sat 12-5,

Another good brewery in the NEK is Red Barn Brewery in Danville. Very nice place and great beer. http://redbarnbrewingvt.com/

Also Kingdom Brewery in Newport is very good. Owner/Brewer is very nice and loves to get to know his customers. From the outside it looks like one of those metal warehouses, but inside has the ambiance of a log cabin. His Round Barn Red Ale is great. He also makes a few odd beers and generally has one on tap. Last time I was there he had an Expresso Chocolate Milkshake Stout. While I don't usually like those types of beers, I have to admit this one was great. They also have some great local music some evenings. https://kingdombrewingvt.com/our-beer-2/

Another is Next Trick Brewery in West Burke. Right on Route 5 just South of the West Burke Village. Only been there once and the beer was decent. Seems to draw the mountain bike crowd. http://nexttrickbrewing.com/default.html

There is also St Johnsbury Brewing, but I ave never been there. I have had one of there beers at a local restaurant and it was quite good.

abby

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:59 am

ctyanky wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:29 pm
Carol: I printed out the post reply and can't wait. Do we need reservations at the brewery if we go late afternoon and then will eat from the food truck....

bm: will hit Lawson's Finest in Waitsfield and will buy my Heady Topper there in town or in Warren on their delivery date!
CT, they don’t take reservations and I was going to mention to you that the hours they are open are limited as Mr Bumps wrote. There is usually a wood fired pizza truck there and maybe another truck that does sausages and burgers etc.
Carol

abby

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:08 am

Mr Bumps, it’s nice to “see” you. I’m going to try to hit up one or two of the breweries you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendations.
Carol

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Thanks Carol for the update. I know we'll go and enjoy the vibe there and wait for our brew to be ready. I love food trucks as well. I also want to check out what you have suggested for photos.

Mr. Bumps: that is a great addition of breweries. The one in Danville is near where I'll be when in Peacham for the week so we'll check it out. I think I can manage the 3 so far I've chosen, Lawson's Finest, Hill Farmstead and the Red Barn. It actually would be fun to do a beer adventure around the state but I just don't have time like you lucky folks who live there! :D