Okemo Mtn, Ludlow summit hike (8/4), fire tower, maple creemee, Country Girl Diner, another top ten day! Fall must do!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Okemo Mtn, Ludlow summit hike (8/4), fire tower, maple creemee, Country Girl Diner, another top ten day! Fall must do!

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 pm

Today we decided to head to VT due to the outstanding weather and went right up the long drive to Okemo Mountain (no fee as in Mt. Ascutney). The weekends have been just downright gorgeous this summer for outdoor lovers! I read a lot about Okemo and that the parking lot at the top was small and fills up quickly. We got there at 10:00 a.m. and got one of two last spots! The dirt/gravel road to the trail leading to the fire tower was uphill but in 67 degree temps an easy climb. The trail was short but very rocky and you had to be careful about footing. We met the Healdville blue blazed trail at one junction. This is something I would like to do in the future when we had more time (about 6 miles RT). I think it might take me a half day!!! The road was a better option for us as we had a lot planned for the tour.

Wow, the fire tower! Very high! The steps were narrow and there were many flights. I surprised myself in that nearing the top I got a bit shaky. I don't know where this came from as I have been totally fine with the past tower hikes. The wind was brisk and I was holding on tightly (not sure why, it wasn't going anywhere) so I was very relieved to get to the top. Anyways, the views were quite unbelievable in every direction on a mostly clear day with some haze. I think these views rivaled Ascutney and Jay Peak and Stratton. Just mountain ranges in every direction with no obstruction. I think this tower may be the highest I've been on! Getting down was easy but I could have stayed up there a lot longer once I calmed down! :oops:

From there we headed to the Green Mountain Sugar House on route 100, Ludlow, for a maple creemee. I just love that place but I held back on shopping this time because we needed to be at the Country Girl Diner in Chester by 2:00. We had a deeelish breakfast there and the prices were so reasonable. Be aware that they only take cash with an ATM on premises. And only breakfast on Sunday which was fine. It is really a fun place and I'll include the link below.

Final stop and a very quick at that, at the Vermont Country Store in Rockingham. Always stop here but it was crowded!

The hiking at Okemo and the fire tower were the highlights of the day of course, and I expect that in the fall, this is going to be a go to place for foliage viewing at it's best. Ludlow is a town that's really got it going on. Chester is such a quaint town and this is where I met our very own forum member, bvahjen, with whom I've been in touch with over the years. We met at the Chester Fall Festival and then he also took us on a sugar house tour one spring. Mitch's Maple is the best! They even serve his syrup at the Country Girl Diner as well. Don't forget the Chester Fall Foliage Festival coming up next month, it is great!

http://www.countrygirldiner.com/

CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

bvahjen

Re: Okemo Mtn, Ludlow summit hike (8/4), fire tower, maple creemee, Country Girl Diner, another top ten day! Fall must

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:15 am

Well you certainly hit all the high points in my old neighborhood! Ha ha! The chainsaw festival in the fall is nice, especially Saturday night when they light up the wood sculptures. Coming east this year for peak foliage so can you make it around October 5 this year?!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Okemo Mtn, Ludlow summit hike (8/4), fire tower, maple creemee, Country Girl Diner, another top ten day! Fall must

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:39 pm

hi bv! Should I set up a 3 way conference with the foliage and weather Gods to see if that date will work for them??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

See you in October! :D CT