Poconos Foliage - October 28th

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

triz

Poconos Foliage - October 28th

Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:17 am

Yesterday we went on a trip to Southern Poconos (Carbon Countly, Hickory Run State Park, Beltzville State Park).
We found great color there, at peak. We had lunch in the great little town of Jim Thorpe, so nice there.
Dominating colors there are normally gold, bronze and orange and indeed it's what we found.
The few red maples turned earlier and were largely bare.

We found also pockets of great colors along the way, on the 476.
In the Poconos the leaf drop was very marginal, the Saturday storm wasn't that windy there.
Much more leaf drop closer to Philly.

Here are some pictures:

BELTZVILLE STATE PARK RESERVOIR 1Image
BELTZVILLE STATE PARK Image
BELTZVILLE STATE PARK RESERVOIRImage
JIM THORPE Image
LAKE HARMONY Image
LAKE HARMONY Image

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Poconos Foliage - October 28th

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi triz: you really did get some nice color. My favorite was the shot of Jim Thorpe town. I like the wall of color and the cars and folks moving about. And the clock tower! Glad you had a very nice day! I hope to get to the Poconos some year, it is so close to me as well. I'm still chasing color here in CT and it is totally peak and so vibrant. I've never seen the sugar maples looking this strong! Our rains Saturday were light and did little to hasten leaf drop, so our trees are looking pretty amazing! CT

triz

Re: Poconos Foliage - October 28th

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:47 pm

Thank you CT!
The Poconos are great, and foliage can be beautiful there as well, I hope you can go there soon!

I am glad to hear you are getting excellent foliage up in Connecticut!