Best gondola/peak for viewing scenery?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Best gondola/peak for viewing scenery?

Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:08 am

Hey all,

Well it seems nearly every ski hill in Vermont runs a gondola ride to the top for leaf peepers. Can't do em all.. which are the best? Especially in northern VT, where I will be this week.

Is the Jay Peak one good?

Would I be better off going up Mt. Mansfield instead?

Thanks for any suggestions! --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ixl

Re: Best gondola/peak for viewing scenery?

Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:40 am

Thanks a lot, bm!

I think the other factor in my deciding which trams/roads to do will be the hours. Most of the ones down in this area open too late and close too early for the best photography. I'm hoping some up there might be a bit more flexible! --c

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:36 am

The tram at Jay Peak is great. I'm not sure what the times are. It's been about 5 tears since I've been on it. For my money, I'd take the toll road to the top of Mt. Mansfield. The road ends below the "nose". The hike from the "Nose " to the "chin" is pretty flat and there are great shots in all directions. Spend your time stake photos instead of hiking. The views from the fire tower on Burke are great, but not as varied as Mt. Mansfield.

Tippy

Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:57 pm

Regarding the Jay Peak Tram Ride: I just got the following information from Mr. Holt, Marketing at Jay Peak Resort. (802) 327-2196. He can email you and attach a map to get to Jay Peak. 4850 VT Route 242, Jay, VT

Weather permitting, from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. starting on October 1st.

Round trip tram rides: $10 adult, $6 children 14 and under, $30 fmaily pass for two parents and dependent children. Tickets may be purchased in the Pizzeria at the Tram Dock.

pwt54

Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:08 pm

After thinking things over I'd have to give Mt. Mansfield the edge. To the north you see the backbone of the northern Green Mtns. To the east you have the Worcester Range, Elmore Mt., and on a clear day the White Mtns. To the south you have Camel's Hump and the southern backbone of the Green Mtns. nTo the west you have Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks. And of course, being in Stowe you could eat at the Shed for lunch and Ben and Jerry's for dessert.

ixl

Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm

Thanks for the info, CTYankee and pwt.

I will definitely be doing Mt. Mansfield. Sounds great.

I will consider Jay Peak, esp if they are flexible about the last tram down. 10-5 isn't really ideal for photography though I can probably get by on the late end there. --c