SouthWest VT 10/15-17 report and slideshow

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

markm

SouthWest VT 10/15-17 report and slideshow

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:38 am

Hello,
We just returned from visiting the Southwest area of Vermont. Staying in Manchester served as our base to explore the area. Foliage varied depending on elevation and direction as we drove to Weston, Danby, Dorset, Arlington, Shaftsbury, and down to Bennington.
Thanks to our fellow message board members, we checked out most of the recommended roads and sites. Leaf coverage was more plentiful the further south we went as expected. Sometimes the mixture of some leaf drop with other still full trees created a different look that we tried to take advantage of with our cameras.
For those visiting Southwest VT this weekend (10/20-21st) try south of Arlington. Shaftsbury and south of there were coming along. I also saw that Southeast areas were coming along well on TV last night.
For those who would like to view my pictures from this trip go directly to the youtube link as follows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_ac7ilVfcE

edmcguirk

Re: SouthWest VT 10/15-17 report and slideshow

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:50 am

Really nice slideshow markm, I enjoyed watching it very much. You did a great job of capturing a sense of place, despite having less than ideal foliage conditions. Still plenty of interesting things to see in Vermont, even if the foliage isn't fully cooperating.

markm

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:00 am

Thank you Ed, much appreciated.
We enjoyed what was available to us. Vermont is such a beautiful place to see in person.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Nice job once again Mark! You captured quite a lot of pastoral scenes and many lovely barns (getting used to your style!). There was a nice cluster of red barns early in the slideshow. Where was this taken?

It sounds like you had a really relaxing time and am glad you were able to enjoy your piece of Vermont again this year.

Let me know if you are still on for NE CT in the coming week. I could meet you again. I called the roads department for that area and the guys gave me their favorite roads to travel in autumn! :D CT

markm

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi ctyanky,
Thanks for viewing my pics and the compliments.
If you are referring to the red barns shown around the 1 minute mark, they are located at 1381 Danby Pawlet Road, in Pawlet VT. We were traveling Westbound on that road to get back onto Rt 30 and they jumped right out at me to pull over! :lol:
Vermont was very nice to visit for an extended time. Looking forward to more visits in the future.
I can meet you possibly next Sunday 10/27 if foliage and weather permits in NE CT. Email me during the week to plan ahead.

Mark

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Mark: Sunday the 27th works if all comes into place with the weather/foliage. If so, we can lunch at the Vanilla Bean Café in Pomfret. I can meet you at the parking lot there or some other place in Woodstock. I have a CT Delorme and will check the roads I did two years ago. Let's connect next Friday at the latest, the weather forecast should be fairly reliable then. I would like to stop at the apple/cider barn in Woodstock for some items as well. I can leave here at 8. The state park in the hollow should be perfect!

Thanks for the update on the location of the barns. I had a feeling they jumped out at you knowing how you like to photograph them. :wink:

Again, thank for posting your slideshow. Very relaxing to listen to the music and view the VT scenes. CT

Utah Baker

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks mark for sharing your photos, I love seeing what everyone captures and experienced. Wish I could spend the whole month roaming Vermont!

triz

Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Mark:
I really love the way you were able to fully capture the Vermont fall atmosphere!