Procrastinated Enough!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Dan'l

Procrastinated Enough!

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 am

Hi All,

New guy here, what a wonderful community and advice I'm seeing.

My wife and I are planning to leave Eastern LI NY on Thursday and are leaning towards Deerhill Inn in West Dover Vt, Bennington area or the Berkshires. I'm a little worried about Southern Vermont. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Dan

triz

Re: Procrastinated Enough!

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:21 am

Hi Dan!
Bennington and the whole routes 7 and 7A up to Manchester were peaking last Sunday, while areas around Manchester (e.g. Mount Equinox) were just past peak.
Not sure what you will find next weekend. South-East Vermont forget about it, unless something magic happens during this frosty week.

Going south, Pownal was 90% green, so was Williamstown and most of the view from the Grelylock. But things looked healthy there, much more than SE VT, and with the cold this week the color may accelerate for you.

loafer89

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:24 am

It's going torwards the third week in Vermont and just too late for foliage. The only areas I can see with foliage still remaining are the Brattleboro area (Oak Trees) which are green until around 10/31 and perhaps the area around Bennington/Arlington/Rutland as previously mentioned. Based on the Mt Snow webcam, the area around Dover is 75% bare. We just had a strong cold front move through with winds of 20-40mph, really stripping away what's left in most of Vermont outside of some valley areas.

The higher elevations of Western Massachusetts are bare, not sure what the Route 7 corridor looks like right now. Perhaps route 20 has good foliage, but some of it is high elevation and probably bare. The CRV had good color last week, but the hot weather and rain dulled the foliage color.

Here in Connecticut it's nearly all green, even with two night's in the 30's.

Dan'l

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks Guys,

We're still on the fence! Looking at the weather forecast for Saturday is not good so we'll keep an eye on it and make a decision tomorrow where we'll go and for how long. We appreciate your help.