Northwest Corner of Connecticut's hill towns foliage update 10/13

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Northwest Corner of Connecticut's hill towns foliage update 10/13

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Hello to those of you seeking color south of Vermont. Well, we spent all afternoon up in a select area of NW CT and I must say that we are only now approaching early color in our hill towns. The color that is coming is strong, but a whole week later than normal at the very best! The towns we covered were Norfolk, North Canaan, Canaan, East Canaan, Salisbury, Lakeville and Millerton NY which had the most advanced color in the higher elevations. The CT towns we drove through were drier this summer than our CT River Valley (CRV) and we had more striking foliage right here in north central CT from which we started! I was quite surprised to see mostly green everywhere, especially in the Canaans, the extreme of NW CT. Tonight, the frosts should kickstart our colors for sure. I am thinking the very end of the week will be peaking in the aforementioned towns. We drove 272 to Norfolk, all around Undermountain Road, route 44, route 7, route 41, Ore Hill Road, Ore Mine Road and the twin lakes of Salisbury and Rudd Pond in Millerton. Belgo Road in Millerton, NY is gorgeous and has outstanding long views waiting for the color to pop! I was in the company of my tree guy peeps who took me on some very narrow dirt roads deep in the Great Mountain Forest in Norfolk on the most beautiful road trip I've ever taken in CT. The road was so narrow it was only enough for the truck! Maybe almost class 4? The color was strongest in here and the sun came out and lit up the forest trees like I've never seen before. Ponds and streams galore. The smell of the woodlands was intoxicating..... We had sunshine and very cool temps all afternoon.

So, we have a ways to go here in northern CT. Also, there is 25% leaf drop in some low lying areas and valleys, but not the mountains of Canaan on 44. They still look like summer! This is good news for foliage seekers and I will be out there two days next week and one of the weekend. I hope loafer can update his area and I will seek out the Barkhamsted Reservoir soon for those who know the area. CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

triz

Re: Northwest Corner of Connecticut's hill towns foliage update 10/13

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Good to know, I may hit Great Mountain Forest tomorrow after Mohawk trail!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:53 am

triz: you will need a truck or four wheel drive for the GMF in Norfolk. Keep in mind, color is early in the NW corner of CT but I have no idea if the frost changed the foliage overnight. Norfolk is called the "icebox of CT" by the way. :D

I am headed to the Quabbin Reservoir by backroads in north central CT and so MA shortly, should know more then. CT

loafer89

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm

I just did a drive around the backroads in Enfield. We have about 20% color change in spots, but most foliage is still green. I'm curious how the foliage color will change over the next few days. It was 33.8F here this morning with frost, so that should speed the foliage along. Nothing looks too threatening weather wise this week, so we might have good color and quantity by this time next weekend. Ctyanky mentioned the CRV being wet this summer, the local weather station down the street from me has accumulated 26.80" of rain since July 1st. Between the high rainfall and the excessive heat, foliage change is at least 1 week behind schedule.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 pm

loafer, thanks for the update. It was so cold this morning but not a frost around central CT. Honestly, I didn't see a change in the foliage yet during my full day drive today. Probably this weekend will be the best all around, worth waiting for since we have a couple of weeks to chase the color here. Did you get to go fishing on the Quabbin with your son at all? Great fall day today! :D