Stowe & Waitsfield 10/10

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Snookman2

Stowe & Waitsfield 10/10

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Stowe still had good color today. Though I felt like the best had passed. Lots of wind throughout the day with leaves coming down. We biked the Stowe recreation path which was fun. Stopped and did the corn maze with the kids.

Drove up to smugglers notch, it's past peak up there. Still worth it though with lots of yellows around the road at the top. Just past the top, there are a lot of bare trees on the mountainside.

Drove down 100 to Waitsfield. Past peak there with vibrant colors giving way to rust colors. Though common road still had some good color and was worth the drive. Went up 17 and it's well past peak up there. Sticks and rust colors. Not worth the drive.

Overall my wife and I agreed that the color was better in Stowe than in Waitsfield. Ready for some cooler weather, our car was reading 82 in Stowe today.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Stowe & Waitsfield 10/10

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 am

Hi Snookman: glad you are enjoying your vacation! Cooler weather will arrive, yesterday was downright hot and today is more humid and warm. Hope you have time to travel south in Vermont to areas where the color is stronger. CT

Snookman2

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 pm

ctyanky wrote:Hi Snookman: glad you are enjoying your vacation! Cooler weather will arrive, yesterday was downright hot and today is more humid and warm. Hope you have time to travel south in Vermont to areas where the color is stronger. CT
Yes! Staying at liberty Hill farm the next two nights. We have all day Fri and sat to explore. Tell me where to go!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Snookman: Liberty Hill Farm is a treasure! I've stayed there before and the meals are OUTSTANDING! Huge breakfasts and dinners. Beautiful farm indeed. Best farm stay I've ever experienced. Enjoy! :D

Snookman2

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:22 pm

ctyanky wrote:Snookman: Liberty Hill Farm is a treasure! I've stayed there before and the meals are OUTSTANDING! Huge breakfasts and dinners. Beautiful farm indeed. Best farm stay I've ever experienced. Enjoy! :D
Excited to be here! My boys are getting a big kick out of being on a farm. On Saturday I need to make my way to Boston, so it makes sense that I hit southern vt in my way. I believe you mentioned a pumpkin festival in another thread?

One thing I'll add to my previous report is that the slopes and hillsides above Waitsfield were past peak but common road still had great color along it. It was so good that we drove it again today on our way down to Rochester.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Snookman, yes! The Townshend Pumpkin Festival on the Green is Saturday! The kids will LOVE it! So will you! Stop at the Townshed Dam and/or Lake, check the foliage out on the way. Here is the link to the festival, I was going to go, but as I mentioned, I work at a horse stables every Saturday and just couldn't break my commitment. I have some back roads for you if time allows.

http://www.townshendvermont.org/index.p ... n-festival

Lots of kids' events. The crafters are very local and whimsical goods for sure. Music and great food. What more can one ask for during Vermont foliage season? :wink:

Beth K. the farm owner has a great mission and is quite well known in the state. I loved when she and her husband sat with us at breakfast and dinner. I stayed downstairs and then again upstairs, must have been two farm stays! I may think about it again next year now that you mention it!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Snookman: backroads in Townshend just in case you are so inclined......

Take Peaked Mountain Road to East Hill to Deer Valley Road loop back to 35 to 30. The Big Picture Farm (goats) is on Peaked Mtn.

https://bigpicturefarm.com/

call ahead for this, kids would love it!

I met Markm from the forum at Friesians of Majesty (huge horse show) on Maggie Ladd Road just off Deer Valley. Nice drives, stone walls, farms, horses and cows abound.

Snookman2

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 am

Great stuff, thank you! I'm gonna go!

Snookman2

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 am

bm wrote:Colors are starting to get good in the Champlain Valley/Route 7 corridor. From Rochester, pop over Rochester Gap (Route 73). Take Route 53 along Lake Dunmore. Explore the back roads of Weybridge, Cornwall, Sailsbury, East Middlebury, Bristol, Starksboro, Lincoln, Hinesburg, New Haven, Ferrisburgh, Monkton, Vergennes, Charlotte. Visit Burlington.
Another nice area would be the Route 30 corridor between Middlebury & Castleton. Hubbardton is pretty. Check out the Hubbardton Battlefield. Taconic Mountain Rambles State Park around the corner is a must IMO. Take Hortonia Road and Black Pond Road between Hubbardton and Castleton. You'll go buy some beautiful ponds.
Bm, many thanks for such a detailed post. I'm gonna try to hit some of that this afternoon or tomorrow! Thank you!