Driving from Boston to Stowe Tomorrow

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Snookman2

Driving from Boston to Stowe Tomorrow

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Everyone! Making this drive tomorrow with the family. Wondering if there are places that are peak right now that I should hit along the way before they move past peak? Even if I have to go a bit out of the way, that's fine. Is the kanc past peak? Groton state forrest area past peak? Other suggestions if those are no good?

edmcguirk

Re: Driving from Boston to Stowe Tomorrow

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Everything north and east of Saint Johnsbury is past peak. Groton State forest was peak yesterday (10/7), but on 10/7 and 10/8 we had significant rain, wind, and leaf drop, so Groton may be moving past peak by 1/9. GSF could be iffy. Peacham was past peak on 10/8.

There was great color, (almost peak to peak) in Warren/Waitsfield on 10/7, that area may hold up better against the rain/wind.

bid

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:01 pm

I drove from Manchester to Warren via art 100 and some internal roads. Warren and most of Killington is DEFINITELY PEAK now. 100 from Killington to Warren is beautiful. You need to be in and around Warren. I will be in Kanc day after tomorrow. Should be close to peak there too!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:03 pm

I agree with everyone. Warren, Waitsfield and route 17 (App Gap) down to Mad River Glen and Buells Gore. Minnesotaman tried Blueberry Lake in Warren but it was fogged in; sure it was in peak but sunnier weather is on its way. Take Plunkton Road off 100 to get to this lake and you will be rewarded! Have an awesome time! CT

standupphotog

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 am

Concurred, Route 100 up to Stowe will give nice color.

Plenty of color in and around Stowe. 108 has outstanding foliage up to and just past the resort. You'll see cars pulling over on the right, a bit before the state park entrance, with a nice vista. Grounds & golf course around Spruce Peak have plenty of orange, yellow and a bit of red. Gondola would have good color if there's no fog. Barnes Camp boardwalk & trail is worthwhile with the family. The notch and just below it still had lots of green yesterday, with yellow mixed in. More color on the other side heading back down.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoteYRCF_nZ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bor4G2elfVd

Have a great time! :)

Snookman2

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks everyone! We're coming up from Florida so this is a special treat for us. Picking up our rental car now.......soon to be in Vermont.

MinnieB

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am

I was at Groton State Park yesterday and it was fine. A few trees along the road were past peak, but color around Ricker Pond was still very good. I was just passing through there. Marshfield was still excellent and along Rt. 2 to Rt12 also very good. I headed south down Rt. 12 to Northfield and all good there. Eventually made my way over to Rt. 25 to Rt. 91 and good color there as well. I was surprised that there was still little leaf drop.

From_the_NEK

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:15 pm

edmcguirk wrote:Everything north and east of Saint Johnsbury is past peak.
I disagree to some extent. There are still A LOT of leaves on the trees. Yes, the top canopy have blown off on the higher mountainsides. Which make the grand long range views a bit less filled in. However, many field side maples and "foliage tunnels" are peaking right now as the lower level leaves are peaking with intense oranges and yellows.