Manchester VT foliage update 10/6

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Manchester VT foliage update 10/6

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:06 pm

I hope you all are enjoying Columbus Day Weekend! This morning I left beautiful Lincoln to start my journey south to my next inn as I position myself closer to CT for the return after the holiday weekend.

I took 116 to Bristol and then traveled all the way down 7 to enjoy the small towns and to get a feel for the foliage progression. I turned west on 140 in Wallingford for a diversion and then took East Road to Colvin Hill Road. This is the most gorgeous road in the area, a long dirt road that climbs to a high elevation with outstanding views of the mountains around Danby. I highly recommend taking this road for its sheer beauty and long views galore. I took route 7A into Manchester and settled into my inn.

The foliage is lagging here, about 5 days at least until peak. When I spoke with the locals, they felt it was unusually late this year and they thought a week because it may be 80 here mid week! Folks coming to Manchester will find it only about 50% turned but the Manchester corridor is looking excellent as far as the color is starting to pop, with healthy trees and little leaf drop. The sheer beauty of the area, especially with today's ride on Brook Road and the Danby Mountain Road, was just stunning! I have a lot of activities planned for the next few days until I return by way of route 7 all the way through SW VT into the Berkshires and Williamstown and then the Mohawk Trail.

If anyone is here after the long holiday weekend, the end of next week into the following weekend should prove to be gorgeous and peak, unless we have driving rain and wind. But as of now, the trees are still lush and primed for an extended foliage season throughout the Manchester Route 7 corridor. You will love Colvin Hill Road!

I'm off to the Newfane Heritage Festival first thing in the morning and taking a lot of back roads and looping back to Dorset for the most wonderful Dorset Farmers Market and back roads in the same. Trying to squeeze in more horse back riding as well! Love this area, so much to do, with excellent hiking in the Mt. Equinox Preserve!

Have a great Columbus Day and may your leaf peeping be rewarding! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Manchester VT foliage update 10/6

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Hello, I forgot to mention that I took Danby Hill Road off Colvin Hill Road to Keeler Road to Danby Mountain Road. These 2 Danby roads are excellent back roads and also had their share of long views and are delightful to drive. You can take Danby Mountain Road into Dorset and also into Manchester.

triz

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi CT
I will definitely check this area next weekend! It should be perfect if the rain is not too bad
Thanks

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:54 am

triz, I think you may hit the jackpot. I have many roads around Manchester for you to check out. Will be back later tonight! :D CT