Cold snap in South VT next week/weekend

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

triz

Cold snap in South VT next week/weekend

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:47 am

According to two out of three forecast models I checked, temperatures should drop dramatically (lower Temperatures in high 30s, high Ts in 50s) in South VT between Thursday and Friday and then temeratures will keep staying low.

Based on your experience, will this be enough to speed the foliage up in South Vermont/Berkshire? I will be there next weekend.

loafer89

Re: Cold snap in South VT next week/weekend

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Temperatures next week will be about 5-10F above normal through late week.The foliage is running about 7-10 days behind. The Connecticut River Valley is about 90% green until you get into Northern Vermont. The higher elevations of the Berkshires should be peak by next weekend with valley areas approaching mid-stage. The higher elevations in Southern Vermont will probably be going bare. I'm planning on visiting the Greylock area on Wednesday if the forecast for sunshine holds. If you like sunshine with your foliage, It's been VERY limited this foliage season.

triz

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:42 pm

I could potentially postpone to the following weekend... CTYankey will be in the area in a few days and I am waiting to hear how it's there by then.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:06 pm

Triz: I would keep your dates as you have them. I'll keep you updated on my trip home after Columbus Day. Keep in mind the highlands of route 9 will be past peak and perhaps in stick season by the end of next week. CT