Woodbury, Calais, Marshfield, Owls Head Lookout, Rickers Pond, Seyon State Park 10/5

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Woodbury, Calais, Marshfield, Owls Head Lookout, Rickers Pond, Seyon State Park 10/5

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Hello! Thank you Mother Nature! What a perfect fall day!

Started out after my amazing sunrise this morning and headed over the App Gap to 100 to 100b to route 2. We took Hollister Hill Road to Woodbury to show my friend the "barn over the road" for a great photo op. Phil had shown me this years ago and it was so cool to find it again! The views of the Marshfield area were amazing all the way to the top of Hollister Hill. Returned by Cemetery Road to route 2 to see all the exploding colors of Marshfield before we turned on 232 to hike up Owls Head. The scenery up there never disappoints! Lots of hikers and dogs! My friend was totally wowed to say the least. It seemed a bit rockier and somewhat harder for me, not sure why, maybe I'm out of shape! :? I think by the end of this weekend it will be in full peak but it had at least 2 to 3 days to go. From there we hit Rickers Pond and then headed to my favorite place on 302, Seyon State Park. Noyes Pond showed excellent fall colors and I would say peak for sure. They have four Adirondack chairs now and we sat next to a nice couple from the area. Lots of great photos here! Then we went to P&H Truckstop for a yummy early dinner, didn't get home until 6:30. The App Gap is in full peak as well as Buells Gore and Mad River Glen! Go here pronto! I am sure the Mad River Valley is nearing peak this weekend as well. I have never seen App Gap and the drive down so beautiful as today, it changed so fast!!!! Take the Mad River Glen single chair lift ride for a simply gorgeous lift to the summit, it was fully peaked out, the best I have seen!

Marshfield was the highlight. Simply outstanding!

I'm off to my last and fourth inn tomorrow and will take a leisurely drive after a hearty breakfast and will relax a bit on the way to my next adventure(s). :wink: Will have to post more on yesterday 10/4 for all the delightful drives through the Middlebury Gap and about 10 backroads in Lincoln before I settled into my inn.

Had to say good bye to my CT friend as he has a 5 hour drive home. Poor man! :(
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Utah Baker

Re: Woodbury, Calais, Marshfield, Owls Head Lookout, Rickers Pond, Seyon State Park 10/5

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi CT, good to hear you report. Planning on hitting Noyes Pond and Owls Head tomorrow as well as the Autumn on the Green in Danville. Sounds like you’ve had a great trip!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Woodbury, Calais, Marshfield, Owls Head Lookout, Rickers Pond, Seyon State Park 10/5

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi Janice, just saw this. Yes, the trip has been excellent so far! I know you are just starting your vacation and you will have sunshiny days and blue skies to add to your photos. :D It's been quite a foggy, cloudy and misty foliage season up here with spurts of sunshine peaking through and disappearing. I still think the foliage has been great and people seem really pleased about the color where they have been so far. Enjoy the rest of your trip. I always look forward to your photos! CT