A Great Season is About to Unfold! The Color is Coming Now!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

A Great Season is About to Unfold! The Color is Coming Now!

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:36 pm

Hello foliage seekers! The color was coming on strong throughout my entire trip up to Warren starting at around Rochester! The Mad River Valley may be amazing during Columbus Day Weekend. Coming up 100 from 4 in Killington was my first indication that this is going to be just beautiful. Pico Mountain had strong early colors on the hillside and as I went up 100 to Granville, the west and east facing alternate sides of the mountains were uniformly coming into early to mid color, with some east facing still green. As I entered Granville Gulf, the mist arrived and made for a very eerie and mystical ride! More on that later! :wink:

After lunch at the Warren Store, I took Fuller Hill Road to the top where I found it fogged in but omg Plunkton had amazing strong emerging oranges, golds and scarlet trees popping out along side the road! Blueberry Lake has the iconic ring of color starting at mid range and that should be great this weekend. I turned around and took Plunkton to East Warren Road to Common Road and down Joslin Road. Same vibrant emerging colors of orange, gold and scarlet! The mountains across Common Road are starting to show excellent color with reds appearing in waves and this whole area should be popping over Columbus Day Weekend and after. I think folks coming in this week will hit the jackpot up in the NEK and down here over the holiday weekend and for days after.

Mother Nature has been holding out on this foliage season just to make us all fret and get anxious and now she has opened the curtains! Relax! It is going to be a great season! After the washout tomorrow, we need some fast cold nights and more sunshine and the trees may change overnight in my opinion! :D

I'm settling in to my amazing inn deep in the mountains near the Lincoln Gap and it is so secluded and beautiful on this dirt road I am in foliage heaven for sure! :) :) :)

Let the show begin! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Texas_Aggie

Re: A Great Season is About to Unfold! The Color is Coming Now!

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:49 pm

That's great news!

edmcguirk

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:57 pm

ctyanky, thank you for the great report, this is wonderful news. It looks like your timing is going pay off after all. I'm glad that you are in foliage heaven !!!

Other reports suggest that the trees look much healthier this year than last year, when stuff quickly went to brown and drop. Would you concur with that assessment from what you have seen so far?

I'm leaving for the NEK on Wednesday, and can hardly wait....

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Ed: I knew right from the beginning the trees were going to be lush and healthy and I have been corresponding with Minnesotaman quite often and that's what we've been continually agreeing upon. Because I follow the trees' health starting in mid August, I concluded from traveling about northern and western CT with some tree guys, that the canopies were indeed full and healthy and would follow this scenario right into autumn. Fortunately, my friends are arborists and yes, loggers, and they have educated me to the fullest on every aspects of trees (not that I understand it all or want every detail :| ) but I do listen, and they are the ones who teach me what to look for. In previous posts since late summer, I kept saying here the trees are lush and healthy and the canopies are full and there is little leaf drop. So here we are with the same into autumn and they are still thick and robust. Pays to have friends in all walks of life!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I have turned into a tree hugger somewhat? :wink: I think I can see every tree that has emerald ash borer now! :lol: (Try going maple sugaring with an arborist and a logger in a pickup truck for hours and see every sugaring operation out there and talks about trees for a full day, what a fiasco! :wink: )

So you will see for yourself when you get here, they have never looked healthier in my opinion! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:17 pm

edmcguirk wrote:ctyanky, thank you for the great report, this is wonderful news. It looks like your timing is going pay off after all. I'm glad that you are in foliage heaven !!!

Other reports suggest that the trees look much healthier this year than last year, when stuff quickly went to brown and drop. Would you concur with that assessment from what you have seen so far?

I'm leaving for the NEK on Wednesday, and can hardly wait....
PS: Ed: Phil (pwt) and I are meeting Tim (Admin) up in the NEK Wednesday as well. Not sure where, will let the boys decide! But I really want to see how Stannard Mtn. Road is looking too. One of my favorite drives! Not sure how far up we are going but I'm sure whatever we see will be a delight!

edmcguirk

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am

Hi ctyanky I'm planning on leaving home early tomorrow morning and being in the NEK by 9:00am. My plans are to go to Bean, Wheeler, Dolloff, and Jobs Pond (I love to photograph reflections), and then drive north to Norton Pond, and maybe as far as Averill Pond. I'll do Stannard Mtn. Rd on Thursday most likely. Plans beyond that are subject too the conditions, but i will give Lewis Pond a try on Friday or Saturday.

Sound's like it's starting off very good so far, you must have an in with the Foliage gods....

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:24 am

Hey Ed, not sure about the weather Gods, I'm working on it! :wink: Last night was pounding rain here in Mad River Valley and it is still raining. I'm heading to Stowe to get my gift shopping done and will check out the area while up there. I'm confident that the weather will improve as the days move forward but today is a bit yucky. It doesn't stop me but I will confer with the weather Gods and set them straight! :D